PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian Waxwing

Jason Lambert
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Ok here goes, my first post. The Bohemians have been showing up everywhere I go lately. This was taken in an old orchard near my house in New Hampshire.

All comments are appreciated.

Canon 40D
300/4 IS 1.4x
f 5.6 1/500 sec
ISO 400
Handheld

George DeCamp
02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey Jason,

Welcome to BPN!! This is a beautiful bird and I like your composition. I am on the road in Florida as I type this and on a laptop so I will hold off commenting on too much else now because I really hate looking at my own stuff on a laptop and trying to get the correct contrast, etc. I am sure someone else will be along but I can say I like what I see here.

Judd Patterson
02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Welcome Jason! You have my jealous on this image, as the Bohemian Waxwing has avoided me so far. :) It's really a beautiful image that showcases the rust coloration on these birds very well. My biggest suggestion would be to sharpen your image more before posting to the web. The feathers here show very little detail, although I suspect that the detail does exist in the full file. You are working with a nice lens combination...one that I used for a couple years with great success!

Stephen Stephen
02-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Welcome Jason and very nice first post. You had a very light BG to deal with so a touch of fill flash may have helped.

I know what Judd is talking about with the feather details but I personally find that this species almost seems to be "air-brushed" by Mother Nature when it comes to feather details. They are very hard to see IMHO.

Jason Lambert
02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the pleasant welcome, and the advice. I will try to sharpen a bit more, after trying to photograph these guys recently I have to agree with Stephen's "air-brushed" comment.

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I would like to see the shadow on the face opened up a bit. Shadow/Highlight now in PS but better still a really lite touch of fill-flash.

I make images of the Florida Scrub Jays and a bit of fill-flash makes all the difference shown the detail in the bird and opening up eye shadows onthe head and eyes.

Beautiful composition.