PDA

View Full Version : Cell in Alcatraz

Jackie Schuknecht
06-30-2009, 06:18 PM
There were three cell blocks, A, B and C, all running parallel to each other. A Block was the shortest, while B and C ran the length of most of the main building. Each cell block was three tiers high. Each cell was 5 feet (1.5 m) wide by 9 feet (2.7 m) deep, and contained a bed, a sink, a toilet and a small desk for writing. Two shelves for personal items ran along the back wall. Three of the cell walls were solid concrete, while the front "wall" was made of the hardened steel bars. Only one prisoner lived in each cell. The prison could hold up to 336 prisoners at a time, and it never filled to capacity. It had about 1500 prisoners during the time it was open until it closed in 1963.

Gus Cobos
06-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow...a 5 star accomodation...:eek: was this the luxury suite???:D I like the perspective, but I'll pass on the stay...:p:cool:

denise ippolito
06-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Jackie, I was wondering when we would see a cell!! I would go crazy in a day there!!!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Me too Denise!!! They look horrid, wait til you see the cafeteria, it is just about as dismal.

Fabs Forns
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
There's no walls can hold a spirit :)
Tight enclosure though.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Had forgotten it was all single occupancy !!! Not much room there !!!

Fabs Forns
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I just noticed, no toilet?

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-30-2009, 11:17 PM
The loo may be behind the bed?

Ouch, I never would want to end in a place like that!

Well captured Jackie, it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Kerry Perkins
07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I loved it when Sean Connery said "The Rock is a tourist attraction?" in "The Rock". Dismal is definitely the word. Interesting to note that the word "alcatraz" is an ancient Spanish word meaning "pelican", and the island was once called "Pelican Island". Also, the Birdman of Alcatraz was a real person named Robert Stroud.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you are really getting to see a lot of California.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I just noticed, no toilet?
Checked another photo Fabs and indeed Akos was right the loo is behind the toliet. Thus the pictures that I have seen with the inmates sleeping with their heads towards the grill. Kerry thanks for the additional info, didn't know it was called Pelican Island, and Al said the Birdman actually did his work at Washington State Penn.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Checked another photo Fabs and indeed Akos was right the loo is behind the BED. Thus the pictures that I have seen with the inmates sleeping with their heads towards the grill. Kerry thanks for the additional info, didn't know it was called Pelican Island, and Al said the Birdman actually did his work at Washington State Penn..

Meant to say the loo was behind the bed.:o