PDA

View Full Version : Kukak Blue Fog Morning

Arthur Morris
06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
This image was stitched together from five vertical frames created from the deck of the big boat in Katmai.

Canon 800mm f/5.6 IS L lens and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 stops: 1/800 sec. at f/8.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Rene Quenneville
06-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Great shot, I love the mood and the tones. I am wondering if the last portion to the right (where the mountain meets the ocean) could be cropped in order to add more attention to the left side.
Are these blue tones natural or is it a duo-tone processing?

Christopher Miller
06-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Like the feel of this. Very minimalist. Agree with Rene that cropping a bit from the right might be nice.

Dave Phillips
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
loved this is latest bulletin.....nice to see it again.
The tonal range is awesome, IMO cropping from the right would be a chop job
and the mountain would lose connection to the base.

Arthur Morris
07-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Great shot, I love the mood and the tones. I am wondering if the last portion to the right (where the mountain meets the ocean) could be cropped in order to add more attention to the left side.
Are these blue tones natural or is it a duo-tone processing?

Hi Rene, I had considered a crop from the right but decided against it as per Dave above. (I did not use everything to the right that I have originally planned on.) I do not know what duo-tone processing is so I doubt if that was it.

Above is the left-hand frame converted in ACR at 3350 CT. I cooled it way down to match what I think that I saw. :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey Artie,
I saw this one in the bulletin too and liked it also. Love the tones and would not do a crop. I like cool tones so the color is very nice for my tastes.
I feel part of the reason some may want a crop off the right is the nature of BPN's BG color. I find that with high key images or images with lots of white tones it is best to put a border around so that the viewer has a clen edge to define.....eliminates the appearance of the colors bleeding into our BG color. All I did was add 2 pixels of black all around.

Morkel Erasmus
07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
the border works well here. super shot Artie - must be one of the few stitched landscape panoramas created with the 800 5.6 lens hehe ;)

like the cool colours and misty mountains.

Arthur Morris
07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks all for your comments and especially Roman for the neat black border.

David Thomasson
07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Beautiful work, Art. This image needs to be printed big ... I mean big ... and placed in a warm, modern setting.

Edit: The MGM Grand Hotel in Detroit decided they didn't want their picture shown here, so I have deleted it.

So much for Artie's 15 minutes of fame. :(

denise ippolito
07-01-2009, 07:29 PM
David, That is spectacular!!!! I love it!!

Artie, Really interesting and unique image. I think the crop is perfect and I love the colors!!!!

Arthur Morris
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey David, That is pretty cool. Please explain the base image....

David Thomasson
07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey David, That is pretty cool. Please explain the base image....

It's just a promo shot of a lobby in the MGM Grand Hotel in Detroit.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks David, It is a stunning image w/o the pano.... Is it your image? Assuming yes, is that how you make a living? And also if yes, what lens?

David Thomasson
07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks David, It is a stunning image w/o the pano.... Is it your image? Assuming yes, is that how you make a living? And also if yes, what lens?

Oh no, I didn't take it (I wish :o). It was one of a series on the PRNewswire announcing the opening of the hotel. They posted download links for several high-res images .

I make my living as a writer/consultant -- speeches and such -- and also do commercial retouching. That's less lucrative but a lot more fun.

Jay Gould
07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, I like the OP without Roman's border. In this case the image, while soft all over, still flows softly from the the LHS to the endless RHS. I had to look twice to see if the image was "bleeding" out of its actual dimensions ;) it is so soft and feathery in the LRHC.

It seems endless and the border terminates the endless feel.

David's repost hanging this piece of art on the wall is spectacular. If it did happen I would like to see the image wrapped around the frame similar to the framing of the Fire In The Mist so that the image continues endlessly.

Lovely image, Artie!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Artie
I like it as is! I feel the lightening of the image to the right makes it appear mysterious and makes me want to keep going further to see what is there. Do I make sense?

Dave, you are wicked man! That is an awesome lobby with the masterpiece hanging. I thought it was real at first! WOW! (one for each of you!)

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info David. It has been great getting to know you here. Who do you write for?

David Thomasson
07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info David. It has been great getting to know you here. Who do you write for?

I write (http://www.lucidprose.com/) mostly for nonprofit organizations -- think tanks here in Washington and elsewhere. I'm part of VRWC, the vast right-wing conspiracy. :cool:

Robert Amoruso
07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I love this Artie, the cool tones work exceptionally well. The atmospheric effects provide great depth to the image.

Arthur Morris
07-03-2009, 07:05 AM
I write (http://www.lucidprose.com/) mostly for nonprofit organizations -- think tanks here in Washington and elsewhere. I'm part of VRWC, the vast right-wing conspiracy. :cool:

Thanks for the link David. Interesting stuff. Though I am not a very politcally savvy person I am thinking that you did not vote for Obama :)

You are a skilled and powerful writer.

David Thomasson
07-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Though I am not a very politcally savvy person I am thinking that you did not vote for Obama :)
I can't slip anything past you! :D

You are a skilled and powerful writer.Thank you sir.