PDA

View Full Version : Common Yellowthroat

Ed Schneider
06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Morning light - D300, 500 f/4, 1/1000th @ f/5, 0 EV, ISO 250. I was very fortunate to get this male singing between the blackberry, as they are usually such skulkers. No flash used, and yes, the shadows are not very desirable.

This is my first post.... don't hold back!!!!

Scott Frye
06-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Love the perch with the bird in the middle but seems a bit soft -- maybe another round of USM

Ed Schneider
06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Scott. I seem to have trouble keeping sharpness after compressing to suggested dimensions... any suggestions?

Ed Schneider
06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks so much, Peter! SOOOO much to learn. I need to upgrade from my measly PS Elements 6 ;^(

Ed Schneider
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
You're welcome. Can't you do these steps in Elements ?

Most probably. My post production and digital workflow skills need a whole lot of work. Would you recommend any CDs or online courses before I get too set in my (ignorant) ways?

Graham Smith.
06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Nice singing pose Ed, and very nice improvements in Peter's repost (particularly the work on the eye). There's some good discussion in the education resources forums (thread: "yellows too hot") which was helpful for me regarding the use of filters. I find the OOF foliage in front of the perch on the RHS a little distracting in this one, but not too much so.
Nice first post!

Ed Schneider
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to like it here!

Jeff Cashdollar
06-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Ed,

You made it, I sent you my e-mail address, contact me. I have some ideals on a crawl, walk, run strategy to help you get going. Thing number #1 is, get the image sharp. Your exposure techs are solid, was this HH. Anyway, looks like some vibration got between you and this beautiful bird.

A great first post, much better than mine. This can be like drinking from a fire hose, many of the concepts discussed on this forum can take months if not years to perfect. A slow but steady approach building on gains works well. We will discuss APBII and Digital Basics too, soon to be a critical part of your library - talk soon.
Best - J$