PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly portrait

Steve Maxson
06-30-2009, 11:47 AM
This is a Black-shouldered Spinyleg (Dromogomphus spinosus) photographed on a cool, dewy morning. The dragonfly was still covered by dew - even the eyes show some very small droplets. You can see where the name comes from with the broad, black shoulder stripe and the large spines (albiet OOF) on the rear legs. This individual was only a day old. The bright yellow color fades to a blue-green as the dragonfly ages. 40D, Canon 180 f/3.5 macro, 0.5 sec, f/22, ISO 400, tripod, mirror lock, cable release, natural light. Comments are welcome.

Thomas Herou
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Nice details,and I like the droplets.
I think there's a magentacast in the blacks that would be easily corrected.

Fabs Forns
06-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Very nice close up with lots of detail.
About the cast, go to Selective color and get magenta out of the blacks, as not to mess with the rest of the image.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I like how you went for a part of the bug with a tight crop Different and effective Sharp and lots of detail I like it a lot !!!!

Julie Kenward
07-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Steve, nice details in this - you really got in close! I'd suggest cloning over the partial leaf at the top of the frame on the right - it's barely noticeable but leaves a faint line running across that upper part of the image.

Thanks for the info on the DF...cool to know you were there for the very first day of his life!

Steve Maxson
07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
[quote=Julie Kenward;288003]Steve, nice details in this - you really got in close! I'd suggest cloning over the partial leaf at the top of the frame on the right - it's barely noticeable but leaves a faint line running across that upper part of the image.

Hi Jules and thanks for the comments. In this tight comp I can see how the area at the top right might look like a leaf, but it is actually one of the dragonfly's wings - so I guess it needs to stay. :)

Gordon Craig
07-01-2009, 09:14 PM
I second everything said. I think the droplets on the leaf add a lot as well.