PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly

Dave Leroy
06-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I will go out on a limb and call this a type of Copper Butterfly. It was taken in a park alongside the Frser River near Vancouver a few days ago. There were tons of them flitting around feeding on wild roses and sweet peas. 50D, 100/2.8 macro at f/8, 1/750, ISO400. It is cropped, has a bit of work to remove some bg dark spots and then usual pp,n. It was hard to get all the pertinent bits and pieces in focus at same time.
Dave

Steve Maxson
06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Dave. I like how you've captured a side view showing the feeding tube inserted into the flower. This is a skipper, rather than a copper. :) There are many species of skipper and they can be hard to tell apart (and I can't help you with that), but they all have short wings and heavy bodies. I would wish for a little more DOF on the wings and I would suggest cloning out the dark spot in the URC.

Dave Leroy
06-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks Steve. My quick search would indicate a Dun Skipper. I did wonder about that dark spot in urc, as well as the focus on wings. Dave

Fabs Forns
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Steve nailed the suggestions, great behavior captured, Dave, keep them coming.

Alfred Forns
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Agree with suggestions .... also getting more parallel to the Skipper would have help dof !! Love it !!!!!

Julie Kenward
07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Dave, one of the ways you can tell this is a skipper is the little clubbed antenna. Butterflies have longer antenna for the most part. Also, if you look at the eyes, they are always the same on skippers - big, round, flat on top and that dark chocolate brown color.

Agree with the other suggestions but would have liked to have had you back up just a little bit more so the entire center of the flower was included in the image. I feel like the right edge of the frame got cut off a bit prematurely. Nice details on the skipper and good angle!

Gordon Craig
07-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I can't stop looking at the eyes and feeding tube in this picture! I agree it would have been nice to get the whole flower in but I realize that insects can move around a lot.

Dave Leroy
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, tips, and suggestions. It is much appreciated. Dave