PDA

View Full Version : Uncertain

Kartikeya Puri
06-30-2009, 05:19 AM
http://arrozinc.com/ranthambhore/Tiger17.JPG

This is my first post on the forum. After seeing the excellant images posted from all over the world, I feel overwhelmed and hope to achieve the results I see here one day. All C&C is welcome.

Shot in Ranthambhore National Park, India.

20D + 100-400@365mm, f/6.3

Cheers,
Kartik

Sabyasachi Patra
06-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Kartikeya,
Welcome to BPN!

Nice gaze. I would give less space at the back and more at the bottom and top as the image looks tight. Typically it is good to have more space in the direction the animal is looking.

Your shutter speed of 1/30 was resulted in loss in sharpness. Were you handholding? A higher ISO of 400 would have given you slightly better results as you would have got 1/60th of second shutter speed.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kartikeya Puri
06-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Sabyasachi,

I agree with your comments. This shot was framed very tight at that time and I will have to keep the composition in mind next time. ISO was a mistake on my end, which could have helped me with the shutter speed and sharpness. I am going to invest into some support system (beanbag), which can be used in Indian wilderness, quite soon. Hopefully that will help me in hte sharpness department.

At that time it was a spur of moment shot and I was hoping for this tigress to move into a better location, but she heard something in the bushes and froze. I will never get to shoot her again :-( she died a few months again in a teritorial fight with an intruder.

Cheers,
Kartik

Alfred Forns
06-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi Kartikeya Big Warm Welcome !!!

Such a sweet face on that tiger ... sorry to hear about her demise !!

Agree on the increasing the ISO Would experiment to see how much you can get away with after cleaning the noise, lots of excellent programs, Topaz has a thirty day free trial and does a good job having little effect on sharpness/detail Fabs also has that has worked well for her !!!

Would give more room all around and particularly up front as Sabyasachi mentioned !!! Loving these tiger images !!!

Robert Amoruso
06-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi Kartikeya and welcome.

You got some good comments above. Something I would suggest a more contrast in the image. It appears a bit flat. A curves correction and adding an 's' curve would help here.

Morkel Erasmus
06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
good advice given. welcome here and thanks for posting this lovely tigress! pity she died. I agree that some saturation and/or playing with the S-curve will improve this image.

Jeni Williams
06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Super tigress- so sorry she died. Excellent suggestions above.

Kartikeya Puri
06-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the advice. I will try to work on the post processing and implement those suggestions. :-)

Cheers,
Kartik

Fabs Forns
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Big welcome to BPN, you got great advise above. Sorry such a beautiful animal had to go :(

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Kartikeya and welcome to BPN mate!

Keep at it, as here you have shown some immense potential! The kind folks above mentioned technicals so I won't. I will just relax and look forward to your continued participation and learning.

Regards from Oz. :)

Mark Fuge
06-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Welcome Kartikeya,

For your first post you did well. As noted by the others, it is a little tight and flat. The attached is an example of a revised image, for your consideration.

It is good to have more room in the direction the subject is going, as noted above. The way I do it, is to crop the image to have about 1/3 - 1/2 of the area in front of the subject for the open area in back of the subject. Here I have shown 1/3, but you can adjust that a little based on your subject and setting.

Also, as you do not have room under the subject, you can add it and clone the area as shown. Again I like to go with 1/3 +/- above and 2/3 +/- below the subject. Again this is up to your taste. The image is too good to not show in it's best light, a little adjustment makes it shine. Mine are suggestions, based on what I do. But you have to decide how you want to show it.

I also added a little contrast to the photo, to give it a little snap.

The attached is a quick example. I would spend more time on it if it were mine, but I wanted to give you an example as you are new to the boards and indicate you want to learn.

We are all here for the same reason, to give and to learn from others. You will find this sight very worth your time, as you explore all the excellent images and advise from others around the world.

Welcome and keep up the good work, you have a very nice photo that a little tweeking will only inprove.

Bruce Enns
06-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Welcome Kartik, You've got a good start here and lots of good advice. Great to see you posting your images here. There are lots of great people with helpful information on BPN!

Cheers!
Bruce

Kartikeya Puri
07-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks Mark. Adding the space on the bottom does add to the image, I will try my meager PS skills. I will have to get my hands on the digital baiscs :D.

Thanks Fabs, Akos & Bruce. I do hope to contribute here regularly. :-)

Cheers,
Kartik

Mark Fuge
07-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks Mark. Adding the space on the bottom does add to the image, I will try my meager PS skills. I will have to get my hands on the digital baiscs :D.

Thanks Fabs, Akos & Bruce. I do hope to contribute here regularly. :-)

Cheers,
Kartik

Kartikeya, you and I are riding on the same train! ;) Photography is one thing, PS skills are something else! :eek:

A tip for you on cloning, that I forgot to include. I set the clone tool for the area directly adjacent to the area to be cloned and copy that first to the new area. This assures that lines are matched and lighting is similar. Then I go around and pick other simliar areas to fill and eliminate the repetitious clone areas. It makes it more natural. I did a little of that above, but didn't take the time to fully adjust the repetition.

Good luck and may your PS learning curve be small. Wish mine was!!! :eek: :D