PDA

View Full Version : Gannet Colony

Jasper Doest
06-29-2009, 03:54 AM
I did a lot of wideangle photography during my last trip to a Gannet colony in Ireland. And although I was hoping for colorful clouds every evening, I was threated with this sky during only one of my visits.

Nikon D3
Nikon AF-S 24-70/2.8G @ 48mm
Nikon SB800, TTL,rear-curtain flash @ +0.7LW
1/50 @ f/11
ISO500, RAW
Gitzo tripod

Gyorgy Szimuly
06-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Very nice image Jas. This doesn't belong to the easiest ones to create. The dark hillside and the sunny main scene makes it challenging. You did it well.
Was the reason composing this way to get the slope starting to fall from the top left corner? Maybe the dark hillside is a bit dominant (for my taste).

It's always a pleasure to see a nice image taken with a lens is on my purchase list ;)

Szimi

Jasper Doest
06-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Hi Szimi, I can see your point. The reason for this composition was that I wanted some more color in this photograph and the left side had more colour in the sky which would balance nicely with the colours in the colony. Regaring the lens...don't hestitate, buy it... it is one of my favourite wildlife photography lenses. The 14-24 is excellent, but honestly I use the 24-70 way more than this extreme wideangle.

Krijn Trimbos
06-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Hi buddy,
Beautiful shot! Very well balanced and love the flash work here. The bigger bird flying in is a big bonus! Excellent...

Dave Barnes
06-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Super environmental shot, I like it a lot.
The flying bird at the same angle as the hill on the left works well.
Good colour and comp.
Have you checked the level of the horizon, it looks just a tad out to me but it could be the lines in the water and the clouds that trick my eye?

DanWalters
06-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Great environmental image! Like the colors of the sky and the way the colony really stands out.

Randy Stout
06-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Jasper:

Nice image, nice sense of weather in it.

In addition to others comments, I find my eye slightly bothered by the cut off of the foreground mound on the right side of the frame. I of course don't know what the scene is like, what is off to the right, but find myself wishing to see a bit more. The cut off birds along the right border also a bit disturbing.

I suspect that this is the best possible presentation for what you had, but if you have more on the right, might be interesting to see what including it looks like?

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Jeff Cashdollar
06-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Wonderful habitat image and IMO it has a sense of balance. There is basically mixed light on a grand scale but it works for me because of the uniqueness of the scene. It allows me to see a grand Gannet colony and in Ireland to boot.

Harshad Barve
06-29-2009, 08:27 AM
wonderful habitat shot, loved the way bird is flying in

Harshad

Manos Papadomanolakis
06-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I really like the colors and the magic light!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Cool scene and interesting discussion above. Have you tried to lighten the hill on the left side a little? I'm wondering if that would add to the image.

Jasper Doest
06-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Jasper:

Nice image, nice sense of weather in it.

In addition to others comments, I find my eye slightly bothered by the cut off of the foreground mound on the right side of the frame. I of course don't know what the scene is like, what is off to the right, but find myself wishing to see a bit more. The cut off birds along the right border also a bit disturbing.

I suspect that this is the best possible presentation for what you had, but if you have more on the right, might be interesting to see what including it looks like?

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Thanks for your comments regarding the right. I fully agree with you on that point. I tried some photographs with more view at the right side, but they didn't work because the lack of light in that area. The sun was setting behind the left of the cliff, and as I wanted to have some color in the sky I aimed more towards that side, clipping the right side of the cliff. Also it was difficult to lighten the forground with a single SB800. If I would have had a studio setup I could have done something really cool here. But hard to bring one to a remote place like this ;)

Melvin Grey
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Beautiful natural lighting and I find the flash balance just right. More detail in the dark hill, I feel, would lessen the 'drama'. As for cutting off some of the birds on the right - well unfortunately you have to cut somewhere and you cannot 'art direct' wild subjects. The bird in the air was a real bonus. Great image. Just as well you can't capture the smell!!

Morkel Erasmus
06-29-2009, 12:12 PM
lovely moody shot this! the weather isn't always our friend is it? :)

Kiran Poonacha
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Great Image Jesper, I loved the sight captured turely beautiful. wou have handled this well, well done..

Fabs Forns
06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I love your choice of composition, the light and the great use of flash.

Ramon M. Casares
06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Great mood and lights, lovely comp, detail, colors, visual impact.
Congratulations!