PDA

View Full Version : Wadi Dayqah, Oman

David Steele
02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Have just returned from a weekend in the beautiful, unspoilt Sultanate of Oman where I photographed this scene. Unfortunately the light was a bit hazy. If you look carefully, you will see Al Mazari Fort overlooking the wadi (ie gorge/canyon). Robert Amoruso, please take note, another vertical! I shot the scene both ways and prefer the portrait to the landscape format.

Camera: Canon 1Ds Mk II
Lens: Canon EF 28-70 mm L at 64 mm.
1/400 sec, f7.1, ISO 100, mirror lock-up enabled.

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks David. It is nice to see som many people using vertical compositions more.

Excellent use of a vertical with the river leading you into the image. I would like to see a bit more contrast in the BG but not much as I like the subtle feel of the image.

Local Contrast Enhancement for the background.

Light haze removal using Unsharp Mask: Amount 20%, Radius 30, Threshold 4
Stronger haze removal using Unsharp Mask: Amount 20%, Radius 60, Threshold 4

Vary amount and radius to your liking.

Bret Edge
02-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Ditto what Robert said. Classic composition and a beautiful scene. Try making the adjustments suggested and I think this will really come alive.

John Cooper
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I like this composition David, strengthened by the choice of vertical format. I observe that lovely orange/gold sands in the gorge, similar to 'The last Quarter' !! The bright haze in the BG is a little distracting - I would be interested to see a repost using Robert's local contrast settings. (Please)

David Steele
02-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Thank you very much for your comments. I have not not tried Robert's method of removing haze and will give it a try. I must admit the haze is a problem for me and I even wondered if I should have posted the image . . . now I have a chance to make it 'come alive' and that's great!

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi David,

Repost when you give it a try. I am interested in the results.

David Steele
02-08-2008, 02:41 AM
I tried your suggestions Robert but the differences seemed subtle so I also reworked the image from scratch and increased the radius on the unsharp mark. I wasn't sure whether you meant me to chose between light haze removal and stronger haze removal - or to use both - so I ended up using the stronger removal for the top section and the lighter for the bottom. Perhaps I should also have used Noise Ninja in the sky as well. . . .

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2008, 08:35 AM
David,

I like the increased contrast in the BG but not the FG. Suggest that you do this on a BG copy then add a layer mask and paint out the FG to your liking.

For the local contrast enhancement, you can very the settings I gave you as well as the radius (try 0). Best way to see how it works is to try a bunch of settings and then you get a feel for it. My recommendations are starting points.

I am not seeing any noise in the sky.