PDA

View Full Version : For Roman!

Arthur Morris
06-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, I finally used a split ND filter for a landscape, and go figure, I held it upside down! (I borrowed it from George Brunt on the last bear boat trip).

This image was created with the Canon 24-105mm IS L lens handheld at 70mm with the EOS-1D MIII and an upside down 2 stop split ND (or was is a 3-stop???)

I was watching George work with the SPL ND when I realized that with the flashing highlights in the water that by turning the filter upside down could hold back the highlights in the water while revealing the detail in the clouds, detail that would be lost if I went about making the image as usual with -2 to -3 stops dialed in....

ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1 stop: 1/3200 at f/16.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

José Rodríguez
06-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Great idea Arthur! I really like the detail in the sky.
Was it a Cokin style filter or a screwed one?. In the first case, I would align the split area to the horizon, to avoid highlights close to the horizon. OTOH maybe my monitor is not fine adjusted, but I can see a grenish cast in some areas of the sky. Hope others may check that for me.....

Arthur Morris
06-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Jose, I was handholding the filter in place on a rocking boat; did my best. I am not seeing any green at all in the sky.

José Rodríguez
06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Ok Arthur. I have never shoted on a boat, but I can imagine the hard situation! Now I'm concerned about my monitor....I will have to calibrate it.

Roman Kurywczak
06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey Artie,
Well....I'm honored.....and I like it! Clouds are very strong and nice placement of the island. I like the way the highlights run from bright on the horizon and slowly fade down. Very effective use of the split ND (buying one?:D) and while a simple composition, quite a dramatic presentation. Very well seen and composed.
PS Don't see cast either.

Morkel Erasmus
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
great use of innovation here Artie. love the dramatic clouds, simple yet effective comp!

John Hawkins
06-30-2009, 06:07 AM
I like the dramatic clouds and the placement of the island also. I do see a small amount of green showing on my monitor just right of the island. John