PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Bay on a late winter afternoon

Stephen Cunliffe
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
We dont get much snow round here at sea level, but plenty of shades of gray!
Canon 30D with 18-55 kit lens (all I had with me at the time) at 25mm
f/11, 1/250, ISO 400

Nonda Surratt
02-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I quite like it, very serene. Nice depth and lots of 'color' for gray!

George DeCamp
02-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey Stephen!!

A really nice moody image you made here. I like the reflections and the sky and you did well with your technicals. I am undecided about the tree. I know it is nice to have an anchor but not sure if this helps you here. Not saying it is not good ai really would have to see with and without. My gut feeling is it would be better to me without.....but that is just one opinion. :)

I really think you did well and in tough conditions!

Stephen Cunliffe
02-05-2008, 01:38 AM
I asked myself the same question about the tree. I could have moved and taken the shot without it, but then I think it might have been a bit banal. The purpose of including it was to introduce a kind of distubing/threatening element into an otherwise serene scene, because winter is rarely comfortable

Alfred Forns
02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
HI Stephen Maybe showing more of the tree? I know it all depends on it surrounding I love the feel of the image and love your processing .....btw for what is worth we haven't gotten much snow around here either !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill McCrystyn
02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Everyone sees it differantly. For me you got it right. The tree adds depth and interest without interfering with the scene. The corner placement with branches only sillouette nicely against the sky adding a secondary interesting focal point. You might want to use that lens more often. :)