PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Wildebeest

Stu Bowie
06-27-2009, 11:58 AM
This is Africa - Kruger National Park. Some will say, I should clean up the water, but then it wouldnt be Africa. This was taken from a hide, and this guy had come down to drink. This was the lowest possible angle, and although I have others of him drinking, I decided to share this one, with the direct eye contact. Taken at midday, so the light was harsh.

Canon 50D
100-400- L IS USM @ 400mm
1/1250
F/6.3
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand Held

Robert Amoruso
06-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I good with the water Stuart - looks like low tide here in Florida.

Even though the light is strong, you got in a good position with him such that the shadows look AOK and not distracting.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Stuart,
I don't mind the water as that reflect the state of affairs. It is not always possible to get down low even though in a hide as banks of the waterhole are normally at a higher elevation. Digging a hole is not always possible or permissible inside a National Park.

Its foreleg is raised. Is it a sign of alarm? In India Deer, Sambar etc stomp their feet when alarmed.

I like the touch of colour on the left top corner. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Fabs Forns
06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Very interesting pose and as mentioned, you handled the harsh light very well.
Keep them coming!

Morkel Erasmus
06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
nice pose here Stu! you handled the light well, and when I'm in Kruger I bloody well shoot all day since you get good sightings all day ;)

Steve Canuel
06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I really like this Stuart. A healthy looking specimen, the head turn and raised leg make for a nice pose. I'm okay with the water though I may remove the yellow spot in the ULC to keep the overall color of the image the same. I think a slight boost in saturation on just the subject will give it enough color to offset the overall blue/gray feel.

Jeni Williams
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Lol Morkel, Agree!! Lovely pose Stu and harsh light well handled.