PDA

View Full Version : Thorny Situation

Richard Kowalski
02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Here's a shot of a Loggerhead Shrike which posed for me Saturday morning at Buenos Aires NWR.

I removed several distracting BG branches, but I'm debating if I should also remove the thorn pressed against the bird's belly. I kinda like it being there, especially since he's holding on to the base, but I thought I'd ask for input.
(In this version the whites are a little hot, but not at full res)

Canon 20D
1/1000th
ISO 200
Sigma 50-500 - 500mm @ f/ 8 handheld
AV

Vertical crop of the frame in ACR, slightly lightened the eye & cloned out offending branches in PS.

Richard

Grace Scalzo
02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Rich, I like the thorn as is. For my taste, I'd crop off the bottom to right above where that second branch comes in and then take some off the left. (My opinion only)

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
My recrop suggestion below. I would then clone out the some small branch at the bottom. A head turn to get better eye contact would be nice. I would have preferred not to be looking up at him but these guys perch high so I know that is not always possible.

Arthur Morris
02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
RAM nailed the critique boave; thanks Robert. The head turned away is the biggest problem. Keep your eyes open and push the shutter button when the bird's head is at least parallel to the imaging sensor.

later and love, artie

ps: I'd also get rid of the last little branch along the bottom.

Ted Willcox
02-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I would crop a little off the left and bottom similar to Roberts crop. I would also clone out the bottom branch. Neat image.
Yours in Wildness
Ted

Richard Kowalski
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks Grace for actually reading what my question was.

I agree the crop isn't correct, but that wasn't what I was asking.

Cheers

Richard