PDA

View Full Version : Hillsborough River Part Deux

Paul Marcellini
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Another from my assignment in Tampa. I have to say Tony Kuyper's luminosity masks make these kinds of images so much easier. http://goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks/luminositymasks-1.html Ohh and the latitude of the 5d2 helps. I can open up the shadows but was going for a natural look, with just a touch of details, plus I think it helps simplify some.

5d2, 16-35II
Lens (mm): 20
ISO: 200
Aperture: 18
Shutter: 1.3 + .6

Harold Davis
06-27-2009, 11:42 AM
hi paul, the composition of this is awesome! love the sun rays breaking through the canopy. the big tree on the right in the foreground seems flat? maybe some density or contrast boost might help? seems like a tough situation to expose with only one frame. you did great!

thanks for the link. will be checking that out.

Rene Quenneville
06-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Beautiful composition Paul. It would make a striking B&W. The orange reflexion is competing with the focal point.

Robert Amoruso
06-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Nice work Paul. I have used some of Tony's techniques before but kind of forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.

Arthur Morris
06-28-2009, 07:14 AM
As above, I love everything about this one. Reminds me of the work of my friend John Moran. The only stuff that bugs mme a bit are the few sunlit areas on this side of the big tree. Love the placement of the sun. Also reminiscent of Jim Brandenburg's stuff.

ps: Just got back from a visit to your galleries. Wow, spectacular stuff, esp. the landscapes and the bugs and the snails and more. And the tiny B&W baby gator. I would recommend that everyone visit and study Paul's work.

Octavio Campos Salles
06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Fantastic shot, great mood and light.

Roman Kurywczak
06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey Paul,
Very strong image compositionally. great balnce of the rays with the strong presence of the FG tree. I may go for a few tweaks on the areas Rene and Artie mentioned.......but I will also add one more to play around with.....did you try selectively dodging the leaves in the FG tree a bit?......just to give them a hint more prominance but considering the loss you got when converting this down to a small jpeg......bet this looks fantastic huge! Might be my new favorite of yours.

Paul Marcellini
06-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone fore the kind words.

Artie, thanks for the plug. I actually liked the sunlit ridges as they echoed the sun beams.

Harold, not sure, it looks punchy to me but I'm on a glossy imac, which even calibrated is a bit contrasty.

Rene, I desaturated it considerably but may do some more, thanks.

Roman, thanks, its lost a lot due to the 200kb limit, its saved around 50% here.

Thanks again guys,
Paul

Kobus Tollig
07-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Great work here well done. Amazing exposure and comp

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Paul, this image rocks. Awesome ray of lights and the tree in the foreground is really cool. Doesn't dominate the image that much as thought at first sight.

Szimi