PDA

View Full Version : Branching Multifloral Orchid

John Lowin
06-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Another orchid from my collection. Phalaenopsis Timothy Christopher is a crystaline white multifloral hybrid. This is one of two bloom spikes currently open, with numerous blossoms on each. It has been in bloom now for almost three months. This has an almost Oriental painting feel to me. Image illuminated by window light with a white card used as a reflector. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/25 4.0s ISO 200
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
Canon Remote Shutter Release
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Bill Jobes
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
It sure does strongly suggest Asian art, John.
Aside from the obvious beauty of the delicate flowers, I love the (to my eye) near-perfect sense of balance you've presented.
Another big plus is the subtle BG color shift from bottom to top.
The only very minor edit I might consider would be to remove the greenish bud and its extending tiny branch at upper right.
Beautiful work!

John Lowin
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Here is a version that I think that I actually like better. - John

Gordon Craig
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
There is definitely an oriental flavor to this shot. The light background really does it for this picture.

Julie Kenward
06-26-2009, 01:33 PM
The second image is nice, John, but I think the top one has more dramatic flair. The way it leans causes tension in the frame and I mean that in a good way! I find myself marveling at how it is balancing itself out with all those buds on the right side.

I also think that one green bud could be removed if you felt so inclined. Either that or possibly tone down the green so it blends more with the other buds?

Very nice orchid image, overall.

Steve Maxson
06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Very nice image, John. Good detail in the whites and they go well with the light background. I prefer the curve of the stem in the second post and I would be tempted to crop the second image a little tighter on the sides.

Anita Bower
07-04-2009, 05:24 AM
I agree with Jules. I prefer the composition of the first image, with more of an off-balance placement of the flowers. I love the stems--they give the image an oriental feel.