PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Beetle - i didn't fall..i didn't fall!

Jay Gould
06-26-2009, 04:29 AM
This is the last of the group of images from my macro workshop. The specs on this image, based simply on the discussions pertaining to the images I have already posted, could certainly have been better. The ISO and shutter speed certainly should have been higher/faster; the aperture could have been wider to further blur the BG. Perhaps the use of a diffuser would have enriched the colors and removed the shinny line along the beetle's shell.

There was a twig growing out of the shell that I removed ;) :)

Nevertheless, I think this Harlequin is cool dude that put up with a lot of photographers all wanting their shot!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 20 June;11:17am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: EF 100 Macro f/2.8
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/40 sec
Aperture: f/8
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Cheers, Jay

Ed Vatza
06-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Harlequins are cool dudes but I must say that my preference lies in the direction of Harlequin Ducks - equally, if not even more, beautiful.

I think your self-critique hits on some of the points. I think the background could be better. The oof leaf on the left adds nothing to the composition and the blue blob in the background leaves me wondering what it is.

Now just focusing on the subject and the twig on which he rests, I think that part is sharp with good color. I would have liked to see a different angle though - possible a little more from the front and above. Not always possible, I know. But we can wish!

Alfred Forns
06-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Jay

Tough to say what else to do except get the bug in a better pose/bg From your position you made the best possible image. About all I would have changed is the aperture ... in this case would favor shallow dof since the bg comes into play !! Once you find one keep after it !!!

Julie Kenward
06-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Jay, I agree with the others. You got good details and color but the BG really distracts from all that. There's certainly nothing wrong with keeping a few crucial leaves and twigs in to show the environment but this has them at odd places and all OOF, leaving it feeling crowded and a little "messy."

I also agree with Ed that going more towards the front of the bug would have resulted in a better angle - something to keep in mind for the next time.