PDA

View Full Version : The Strike Zone - Osprey Attack!

Andy Nguyen
06-26-2009, 02:22 AM
Dug up a photo taken over the winter at a local pond. There were about 4-5 Ospreys circling above at one time or another. They would dive down to strike the fish swimming close to the water surface. My mission on that day was to capture the moment before impact (the fastest part of an Osprey's dive). After two dissatisfied attempts, I managed to get this shot with the sharp talons fully opened and the eyes dead fixed on the target.

http://www.ndshow.com/FTP/BPN/osprey-attack.jpg

Nikon D300
AF-S 300mm f/4
TC-17EII 1.7x
Manual exposure mode
1/2500s
f/6.7
ISO 1000
0 EV
Multi-Pattern Metering mode
Center weight 13mm
9 pts Dynamic AF
VR none
tripod none
flash none
It was cloudy, I had the camera metered for cloudy conditions but the clouds opened up just as the Osprey started to plunge down so there might be a slight warm glow. I decided to go for the pano crop for more attention on the subject. Does this work for you?

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Andy Nguyen
http://www.ndshow.com

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2009, 03:25 AM
super moment captured! the focus on the eyes and talons makes this special.
pano crop works for me, but would be interested to see it with a tad more space bottom and right.

Dave Barnes
06-26-2009, 04:01 AM
I like the idea but would also like just a tad more space above and below but without loosing the concept.
The halo below the bill and claws is distracting and can be sorted in PP.

Jay Gould
06-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Andy, capturing that image so sharply at the speed it was moving is simply amazing! Frankly, I am captivate by the eyes and the open talons; while it may be BPN heresy, the image is so powerful that I do not even notice crops and halos. I simply enjoy looking at the Osprey intent on it's mission. Thanks for sharing; look forward to many more.

Cheers, Jay

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
06-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Anticipating the action and capturing it are not easy. I was presented with many opportunities like this but have not successfully captured an image even close to this. I just love the eyes and the fully extend talons. Very powerful image.

Grace Scalzo
06-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Excellent moment captured, very dramatic. Another vote for a bit more room, he looks a little crowded!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Good move to raise the ISO. The pose is great and I like the crop idea but agree regarding a bit more room. There is a slight sharpening halo around the bill.

Lance Warley
06-27-2009, 03:52 PM
In addition to the other great things already mentioned above, the light on its wings is beautiful!