PDA

View Full Version : Diving merganser

Grace Scalzo
02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Some exceptionally calm water on the Long Island sound late yesterday afternoon led to this image.What I like most about the it is the reflection of her beak and body, (zig-zag) which looses alot of oomph in this web presentation. The more I look at this, I think that the second reflection (Lower in the frame) adds nothing. Your thoughts?

Thanks for looking.

1/1000, f7.1, ISO400
1DM2n, 500 + 1.4tc

Jim Neiger
02-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Grace,

Nice job catching the dive. I agree with you about the second reflection. The bird appears to be a bit soft as well.

Arthur Morris
02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I like it as per Jim and yes, the bird's head especially is soft. Some selective sharpening would help. Were you in a boat?

later and love, artie

Grace Scalzo
02-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Artie- Cracked me up with your boat question...tactful. no, I was not in a boat. Soft sand and a rather large crop. I will try some more sharpening, but this might be as good as this one can get. Perhaps one for the trash heap, sadly.

Blake Shadle
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I agree with you on the reflection, Grace. Artie, and Jimmy made some good suggestions. The trash heap is a good indication of whether you're refining your skills and your artistic vision. An image that you would keep a year ago, may not be one that you would keep today ;) Keep posting, I enjoy keeping track of your work :)