PDA

View Full Version : Pink Iris

Ed Cordes
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I find Iris hard to photograph due to the variation of surfaces and textures. However, this is exactly what makes them so beautiful. This one is in my yard. I like the rather unusual pinkish color.

1DMK2 with 100 f 2.8 Macro. ISO 800 f 14 1/50 on tripod with mirror lock up and remote release. Image is full frame.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Bill Jobes
06-25-2009, 11:52 PM
This is indeed a beautiful flower, Ed. You did a masterful job of capturing its allure.
With so much going on visually in an Iris, the artistic decision of what to include and what to exclude is intimately personal.
If you'll indulge my vision for a moment, I would consider, if you keep the present crop, blending green into the dark area at upper left, as to my eye, that area pulls my attention from the heart of the flower.
If you'd want to really experiment, consider a radically different look, such as a vertical aspect ratio crop, centered around the middle of the image, so that only the pink intricacies of the Iris are shown.
Regardless of your approach, I believe you have a winner with this one!

Ed Vatza
06-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Good Morning Ed,

Bill hit on the two comments that I want to make. One is that I think this subject could shine even more with a vertical crop, even tight in. It just would seem to work better given the shape of the flower. And second, I'd like to see the left side look more like the LR corner in color and depth. Not always possibly, believe me I know. But a wish nonetheless.

Alfred Forns
06-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Ed First thing I thought was the orientation .. I think vertical will be stronger !!

Crop aside I like how you captured the flower ... texture, sharpness, dof and that most important feel !!!