PDA

View Full Version : seascape

peter delaney
06-25-2009, 02:46 PM
D3 14-24MM TRIPD,KIRK BALL HEAD.

iso 100 , f22 @15 seconds.plus exp comp +0.7.

my first attempt at slow shutter and seascapes, lots to learn any advice welcome... biggest PS problem was the amount of dust spots had to remove...my own nit wud have like lower view point but was not possible .. also top RHS needs a bit of burning in..

José Rodríguez
06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Peter. I have always liked the dreamy mood we get using slow shutter on water. In this one I like the motion blur on the water. And I think the exposure is fine as well. But I find usually a blue cast in this kind of shots, I fix using a good white balance. Also I should crop this one, either vertical with the left rock alone, or as is, croping the left side. I think it´s also a bit unleveled...
Anyway perfect for a first attempt!

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey Peter,
Nice to see you in this forum! I like the way you have the rocks on the left and the way they balnce the larger mass on the right. The slow SS added some texture to the water but I felt it was a bit dark in some areas. I ran a screen layer on the entire bottom at 25% opacity and then selectively lightened areas with levels layer adjustments. I also die a bit of S/H on the sky to tame some of the brighter areas as well as adding to the blacks in selective color. Even though I like cooler tones, I did do a bit of color correction, adding to the yellows and reds to tame the overall blue feel.....but that is a very subjective thought.....I was OK without it but figured I'd give you another possible option. If you get a chance post which SS you used so that others have an idea. Did you also try some faster ones or even longer? This was nicely composed overall and I feel a few PP tweaks can make this really shine.

Jay Gould
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi All,

Lovely milky water image.

Roman, I like what you did with the sky; however, I think the rocks are too light under the foreboding sky. Probably like something in between the OP and the RP.

My nit: the horizon isn't level; higher on the RHS/falls off to the left.

My way of quick checking horizons and buildings (levels and leanings) is that when I am doing a reply I open notepad (I keep a Notepad link in my Quick Launch Menu) so that I can quickly open a notepad note and look at the image while typing. Then simply cut and paste.

The top of my note/notepad is level and I simply move it around to check horizontal and vertical lines. You can change the notepad size to make it wider or taller to put a straight line across the entire horizon or vertical along a building.

Peter, did you use a ND or polarizer to slow SS?

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers, Jay

Arthur Morris
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
The excellent repost by Roman addressed my concerns. Getting a bit higher would have been better than getting lower as it would have raised the horizon above the top of the far cliff.

Note to all: nits are needless criticisms. We try to deal in suggestions here and to avoid the use of the words nit or nit-picking <smile>

Jay Gould
06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Note to all: nits are needless criticisms. We try to deal in suggestions here and to avoid the use of the words nit or nit-picking

I think this should be added to the posting or commenting Sticky.

In the future I will suggest that something isn't square or level, and should be made so! Thank you.

Robert Amoruso
06-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Peter,

Nice work - my kind of image. I like Roman's repost but agree with Jay that the rocks should be somewhat darker, also agree on need for Rotation. Artie's suggestion on moving up was first thing to my mind.

Please post exposure in future as that is very telling information both for the reviewers and those here to find out how you did it. Again, nice work.

peter delaney
07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Apologies for taking so long to reply , but its kids school holiday season once again... so I am on the road with family in tow....

thanks Jose agree about cast and rotation but not certain about your suggestion on crop will try and see..
Hi Roman , really appreciate you taking time out to repost , i like most of what you did but think the rocks are a bit too light..love the sky you did.
I took quite a few exposures varying from 2 seconds to 25 seconds.. have not had time to look at them all yet.. will be posting more landscapes here this year...

Jay thanks for advice...

Thanks Arthur for pointing out the horizon.. didnt even cross my mind .. but will from now on.. so appreciate that...

thanks again to all for advice

sorry again it has taken so long to acknowledge your comments

peter