PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Snow Plant

Dan Brown
06-24-2009, 09:07 PM
This capture was made this last weekend in the Sierra Nevada near Truckee, Ca. I was a good season for these saprophytes as we saw an estimated 200 plants! The -1 1/3 EC was my attempt at bringing the red histogram into the "unblown" range!:eek:

Camera Model: NIKON D300
Shutter speed: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Exposure compensation: -1 1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 105mm f/2.8D
Focal length: 105mm
Focal length: 157mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-

Alfred Forns
06-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi Dan I can see how those would give your histogram a workout !!! Just reduce saturation in the red channel while processing.

Can't judge the color for these seems I've never seen one in person From looking at the base I would say its realistic Do like the overall feel and framing !! Find these type difficult to compose !! Excellent !!!

Dan Brown
06-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks Al. The image seems to be missing this morning? I have reposted it above. Oops, its back!

denise ippolito
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Dan, I've never seen these before so thanks for sharing. The reds look good to me-I think you did well with the composition.

Bill Jobes
06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Excellent photo, Dan. These, at least to me, are most unusual, and simply stunning!

I appreciate your compositional approach with the line angles, and your handling of the reds, with the brown and green to complement.

Overall, I find it has a very pleasing visual impact.

Steve Maxson
06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
I too have never seen these, Dan - very interesting plants and nicely photographed. You might consider warming the color temp a little as the ferns have a slight blue-green tone on my monitor.

Ed Vatza
06-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Ah yes, the blown red syndrome. I usually fall prey to the blown yellow syndrome, myself. The solution, though, is the same.

Anyway, very interesting subject and I think you've captured it well. Looks sharp. Colors look good. Compositionally very nice.

Julie Kenward
06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Dan, one thing I try to remember is to lower the saturation level in camera if I'm going to be photographing bright red or yellow flowers. That usually saves me a little bit on adjusting in pp.

As far as the comp goes, I wonder if it would be stronger with a little of the left side removed. It feels very centered as is and might be stronger if pushed to one side a little bit more.