PDA

View Full Version : Going to Mantoloking, NJ in late July

Jay Abrams
06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm going to Mantoloking, NJ in late July. Does anyone know if this is a good location, and what I might photograph at that time of year? Thanks.

Ed Vatza
06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Mantoloking is a beautiful shore town. If I had millions, i would consider living there. But I don't and I don't. What I can tell you is that it is located on a very narrow spit of land.

I usually steer clear of the shore during the summer months but Fall through Spring I often work the ponds right along the ocean from Point Pleasant (several miles north of where you'll be) up to Shark River Inlet in Belmar. In the off-season, it is an easy drive but I don't think that will be case in high season with all the people around. And I know the wintering ducks have obviously left.

Your best bet may be head south through Seaside Heights and Seaside Park to Island Beach State Park. There may be some interesting birds, landscapes, seascapes, etc. there with maybe fewer people. Otherwise, there will always be people on the beach to photograph.

Actually Bob Krist has a photo book entitled "Down the Shore" which covers the entire Jersey shore and may give you some ideas.It might be worthwhile to pick up.

denise ippolito
06-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Jay, PM me when you get to town. I live nearby-if there is anything going on I'll let you know. Just a heads up with Island Bch State Park-the greenflies are killers!! Wear gear before going out to the blinds!! If there is a west wind the flies will be bad on the beach side. The book Ed suggested is very good.