PDA

View Full Version : Just a Sparrow

Jim Poor
02-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I goofed up and deleted my original post from Wild & Free so I'll put this one here. I'm really curious about impressions of the perches and whether to leave them or ditch them.

I was hoping this little guy would jump up on one of the higher perches, but it was not to be. I go back and forth on removing or shortening one or both of the unchosen perches on the sides.

Location Huntley Meadows Park, Alexandra, VA.
Date/Time12-Dec-2007 11:16:
NIKON D3
Flash Used No
Focal Length600 mm
Exposure Time1/50 sec
Aperture f/5
ISO Equivalent200
Exposure Bias+1/3
White Balance
Metering Mode multi spot
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

Richard Kowalski
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd ditch the ones on the right & left and maybe use a vertical crop. The unused perches are too distracting, especially since they are at the same level as the bird.

Richard

D.J. McNeil
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
You don't think maybe the perch on the left side helps balance the image, do you? I think it would be quite plain if there were nothing else.

Richard Kowalski
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
You don't think maybe the perch on the left side helps balance the image, do you? I think it would be quite plain if there were nothing else.

I was thinking more along these lines, but it's just my opinion...

Richard

Judd Patterson
02-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I like Richard's crop suggestion, especially if the original post is the full image and you have some latitude to crop. Love that interesting perch it chose, and the very subtle background that brings out the colors in the sparrow. It really is a nice looking Song Sparrow...wish we would see more sparrow's around here. :)

Jim Poor
02-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I like the suggested crop as well. The original is nearly full frame. If memory serves, I only lost some edges to rotation in post.

I am also considering lowering the left piece to have a sort of "stair-step" pattern.