PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad and Northern San Diego Early july

Chris Hansen
06-24-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm heading to SoCal for the first part of July. We will be staying in Carlsbad on the far northern end of San Diego. Any hot spots for bird photography? I have shot several times at La Jolla so I am familiar with that area.

Any good spots would be appreciated.

God bless,

chris

Kerry Perkins
06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Chris. If you can make it up to Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach you won't be disappointed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolsa_Chica_State_Ecological_Reserve

Chris Hansen
06-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Kerry,

Thanks for the reply. Bolsa Chica would be on my list if it weren't a family vacation. I need places that are fairly close by so that i can slip out and do some early AM photography and get back before the family is up and around and ready to do something. So far my own research has turned up Buena Vista,Batiquitos and San Felijo lagoons all fairly close to Carlsbad. How good they actually will be for bird photography time will tell. I will also hit La Jolla which is always good for me in the past for brown pelicans and harbour seals at Children's Pool.

God bless,

chris

Kerry Perkins
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Chris, have a great trip! The area around Carlsbad is lovely and I'm sure your family will enjoy it. Are you taking them to Legoland? ;)

Chris Hansen
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Kerry,

Ddin't take them to Legoland as they are past that age now. They have been a few times when they were younger and they really enjoyed it. They also got to see some pictures of their Grandma's old work while they were there as my Mom used to be a model designer for Lego back in the 1970s.

I actually did manage to squeeze in about 20 minutes of shooting at Bolsa Chica one morning. The lighting was tough but there sure were a lot of birds. A great spot! The lagoons around Carlsbad were pretty much devoid of birds and one needed a really long lens to shoot the ones that were there. La Jolla was perfect for the seals at Children's Pool and the bluffs above were wonderful for the Pelicans.
Overall a good trip,

God bless,

Chris