PDA

View Full Version : Half Dome Sunset

Gerald_Gilligan
06-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Here is an image that I made on 5.22.2009 at 7:44 pm.

5D MKII 17-40L
f22
1/5 second
ISO 100
22mm
3 Stop ND Filter

Do you like this image as presented or would you crop it differently?

All comments are welcome...

Jerry

Robert Amoruso
06-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Jerry,

I have stood right where you are at - wish I was there today. :)

I like the comp with the river leading to half dome, half dome off-center and the tree top lines making a "V" towards half dome. All bring the eye to the center of interest. I am OK with the FG crop but it also works well more in a pano crop (see repost).

I find the contrast to be too high and the image oversharpened (look at the tree tops against the sky for halos).

I repost a recrop but also applied my standard reverse s-curve to it (more here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) that opened up the shadows and toned down the sky and half dome's highlights.

The image also needs a CW rotation that I did not do.

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Hi Gerald,
I liked Robert's corrections and even the crop....but you know how I like exploring them......so I went with your original and cropped off the left and slightly off the bottom. I also went as far as Robert did on the bottom and liked it too. I've been there myself also......must be a popular spot:D. Tone down the highlights and make the recommended changes and I think you have a very strong image here. Nice luxury to have with all the crop possibilities.

Robert Amoruso
06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I like the side crop Roman - accentuates Half Dome a lot more.

Jay Gould
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Jerry, love the image and the use of a 3-ND filter. Everyone that goes to Yosemite hopes for the a relatively clear night to obtain your dream image! Did you shoot from the bridge? When I was there last year we didn't get a decent sunset to "goldenize" Half Dome.

Cheers, Jay

PS for anyone: who created the Tags at the bottom of the thread?

Gerald_Gilligan
06-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Robert,
I went back to the Jpeg and found the halo's that you pointed out. The "Actions" to convert to "Web 800" that I use has something to do with that problem. I went back to the Tiff File and the halo's are not present. I will need to address this. The over saturation may be due to my PP. I went to your tutorial and found some helpful approaches.

Roman, I agonize over cropping for some reason... I wanted to keep the reflection and the unusual cloud formation.
Your decision is the crop I like... Thanks!

Jay,
This was not from Sentinel Bridge. If you go to the "Day Use" Parking area and park at lot "A" and walk toward the water you will have this view. Housekeeping Camp is across the water and you will sometimes have people in the sandy beach area. For the sake of full disclosure, I cloned out a couple at the old tree.

Thank you all for your comments it is extremely helpful to me...

Jerry