PDA

View Full Version : Lycaste brevispatha

John Lowin
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Another specie orchid from my growing room. This plant has five, under one inch blossoms, in beautiful delicate pastel tones. The droplets seen on the sepals are naturally occurring moisture. Image illuminated by window light with a white card reflector. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/16 1/3s ISO 640
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
Canon Remote Shutter Release
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Dave Phillips
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
quite beautiful with the soft tones John.
Comp wise, I might suggest a slight rotation either direction, as the light petals are
aligned too perfectly at 10, 2 and 6....the dark at 1, 7 and 4....thinking of a clock here!!
Our minds tend to be bothered a bit when we see such perfect alignment, so I have read!!

this is a 4º rotation, as you can see the amount in your sig.
http://i39.tinypic.com/dfh7jp.jpg

Ed Vatza
06-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Hey John,

First off, I really envy you folks with your own orchid growing rooms. Way cool!

I think the flower looks great here. Good detail, Good color. And I like the orientation as is. The only thing I am not fond of is the white or actually light gray (is that what you meant) background. The orchid seems to get a little lost in it. With a flower this light, I would have liked a darker background for it to play against. Just my opinion.

Julie Kenward
06-25-2009, 07:29 AM
John, I really like the actual flower here. The exposure and overall feel is beautiful. I agree with Ed that I don't think the BG actually helps the image. To me, the flower has a soft, sunny glow to it and the BG has a cool undertone that pulls against that feel.

I am also unsure about the leaf in the BG. It feels so OOF that I think I would rather it not be there. Maybe if it didn't directly intersect with the flower I wouldn't mind it as much but it really pulls my eye away from the main focus.