PDA

View Full Version : cloning in Photoshop

John Chardine
02-04-2008, 07:16 AM
I am really enjoying membership in this group and have learned a lot already.

I wanted to mention the topic of altering an image using cloning in Photoshop. I might use this tool to remove a sensor dust spot but I try not to edit features out of images such as tree branches or anything that spoils the composition. In my short time as a member I am kind of surprised at how many commentators advocate editing images this way. I generally follow the philosophy that whatever I might have done in a real darkroom is allowable in Photoshop.

I would like to hear a defense of the cloning tool!

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Thats a good philosophy. Some folks dont think any image manipulation is fair. Darkroom photographers would sometimes work a prized image for hours and hours, the final print didnt look much like the straight test print at all.

People all tend to have different comfort levels of new technology, in this case Photoshop.

I actually dont like removing branches sometimes as it removes an important element of the birds habitat in some cases. But if an out of focus sparrow shot thorugh the frame the instant I pressed the shutter, that poor little sparrow is gone in less than 1 second without any regrets.

Try to use the spot healing tool over the Clone, it make dust removal much easier.

Robert

Sid Garige
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
John,

IMHO there is a simple answer and Artie put it in a very nice way.

If it fits with your personal ethics.

For me as long as it does not alter the image.

Alfred Forns
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
John you might be surprised at the things that went on in the darkroom

Digital imaging has brought improvements which most people have embraced Generally I don't do anything beyond what was in scene Cloning a twig is not altering the image Would it be different if you could walk up and move it?

One thing I am in favor is disclosing information Sid's quote from Artie really sums it up !!!!!

John Chardine
02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree. I think that disclosure in the commentary to an image is the key.