PDA

View Full Version : Crab Spider Thomisidae sp.

adcolon
02-04-2008, 05:50 AM
In the University of Puerto Rico Botanical Gardens.

Handheld, Canon 30D, Canon MP-65/w macro flash with diffuser. ISO 200, Manual Mode, f/11, 1/250 sec.

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Nice colors and subject position. I think this is called a "flower" crab spider, I believe we have them on the west coast of Florida also. I really like these guys and I am constantly on the look out for them.

In this situation if I was there, I would have gotten down a foot or 2 to look the spider more directly head on and to eliminate the cut off flower tips at the top. Also my number one concern is when doing flash with macro is too make the image look like it was made with ambient light so that people have to ask if I used flash. In this case, unless the background was in the shade of a building, you can tell you used the flash on full power. I would normally shoot a canon macro flash at 1/8-1/64th or less power in manual mode.

Thanks for posting,

Robert

Matthew Pugh
02-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi
A nice shot of this spider in a great looking pose. I would agree with Robert’s remark regarding the flash look, but personally I rather like the composition. Although it would have been nice to have had all of the top perch area included in the frame
All the best
Matthew

Alfred Forns
02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Either way this is one tough little guy to capture Did have that MP-65 for a while and found it difficult to use Dedication is needed !!!

I like the dof for the minimal distance Would have like to see the image from a slight lower angle if it was possible !!!! Agree with previous comments and find this a very fine image !!!! Big Congrats !!!!

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Robert had some good comments and I like that he gave us some tips on correct power setting for a macro flash image.

I do agree that a lower perspective and not clipping the flower would have approved the image.

However, I like the background black. A different look and the spider, though obviously flashed does not look displeasing to me. Thanks for posting.

Mike Moats
02-04-2008, 06:01 PM
For me, I like the image as is, but would have liked to seen the lost tip on the bud. Very nice colors,. Well done.