PDA

View Full Version : Paris Opera Roof

Dave Mills
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Off to France soon so I thought I would put this in. Had an unusual opportunity to go on the roof of the famous old Paris opera. It was an overcast day and was not confident how strong the images would look. I recently applied Topaz adj to this and was surprised at what I got. When I get more time to work on this I will adjust the slight tilt in the left hand building. Few times I handheld my camera.

denise ippolito
06-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Dave, The architecture is splendid!! I love the rendition of the image with the Topaz. I envy you and your trip- Have fun , Be safe- You will be missed!!!:)

Gus Cobos
06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Dave,
Excellent composition, image and capture...I like the wide angle perspective, and close up view...the color rendition is superb, the clouds have a 3-D quality to them...well done...looking forward to more...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Thought it was HDR Dave. Great framing and colours. Like the lyre (or whatever it is) shouwing off the gold so
nicely! Lucky you, off to France again:), have fun!

Harold Davis
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
HDR, me too!! i like the way this turned out, dave. awesome detail!!

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-23-2009, 05:58 PM
What a great show Dave! I agree about the wonderful architecture. I also thought this was HDR. WOW!

I have a bad memory of that place, at least from a financial perspective anyway. :D

Dave Mills
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks folks for the comments. Yes, Akos I'm not thrilled at the exchange rate. Today it's approx $1.40/euro. Our French relatives have a ball when they come here. They get 40% off the sale prices.

Dave Phillips
06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
this is a beautiful rendition Dave.....nice touch with Topaz.
Have a safe foto op filled trip

Cheryl Slechta
06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Dave, this is a beautiful image in all its aspects. Enjoy your trip and I hope it's safe and wonderful.

_________
Cheryl

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks folks for the comments. Yes, Akos I'm not thrilled at the exchange rate. Today it's approx $1.40/euro. Our French relatives have a ball when they come here. They get 40% off the sale prices.

I know what you mean, though my story is a little bit different. When my wife and I were there a few days as part of our honeymoon - I arranged it as it was her dream to go to Paris - we got ripped off a couple of times. I guess we had TOURIST written allover our heads.

Going by the 2001 prices, we paid AUD 21.00 (around 80 francs) for two capuccinos on the Champs Elysees and some freelance photographer (sorry D) took our photo at the Opera House for AUD 25.00 and harrassed us to buy it though we never asked for it!!!

But eating out was so dear! We made sandwiches every day. LOL!!!

Dave Mills
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi, Sorry you had that experience. I've traveled in France a number of times and I'm with French people so I'm generally not a target. However I still have to pay $5-$6 for a cafe au lait which is half the size of a medium coffee in the states. When you get out of the big cities its a bit cheaper....

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Hi, Sorry you had that experience. I've traveled in France a number of times and I'm with French people so I'm generally not a target. However I still have to pay $5-$6 for a cafe au lait which is half the size of a medium coffee in the states. When you get out of the big cities its a bit cheaper....

I was shocked, but the city is absolutely gorgeous. That's one thing I do miss in Australia. While we have some INCREDIBLE animals and landscapes, we just seem to be lacking the historical buildings that are scattered throughout the norhtern hemisphere. I was most taken aback when I revisited as an adult with much more appreciation of history than when I left my country of birth in central Europe as a 13-year old.

Man, I even had a photo taken of me in Napoleon's living room! :D