PDA

View Full Version : The Gift, does it work?

Fabs Forns
06-23-2009, 09:32 AM
I never get tired of these magnificent birds, especially when they are in the nesting season. Every year we have that opportunity at Wakodahatchee Wetlands, where we had 8 active nests, at least, this season.
This is a horizontal capture, with the feet cut. I have the full wing but decided to try another approach to the composition. Feet don't bother me since they are not cut at the joints.
Does the general image design, focusing on the lines of the two heads and chests work for you?

Date: 4/18/09
Time: 8:32:12 AM
Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 500
ISO: 400
Aperture: 5.6
Shutter: 1/1250

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes...I liked it. very unique. Do you think a little sharpness is needed? I should check from my much better laptop from home.

well done as always
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Fabs Forns
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes...I liked it. very unique. Do you think a little sharpness is needed? I should check from my much better laptop from home.

well done as always
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Thanks, Kaustubh, glad you like the compo.
Regarding the sharpening, I just used it on the faces, because the plumes get easily oversharpened.

Manos Papadomanolakis
06-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Magic light with killer poses!!!

Alfred Forns
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I like how you worked the crop Fabs Pleasing ... love those poses !!!

Tell Dickinson
06-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Works for me Fabs :) Although it is quite a bit different, when I saw this it reminded me of a book cover by a certain well known gentleman :)

Tell

Michael Wolf
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Fabs,

It works for me as well.
All the necessary elements are there and I did not feel as though
any one thing was missing.

Mital Patel
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Fabs i am no expert but still i've made two changes.

1. midtone enhance still highlits and white's are as it is untouched
2. slective sharpness as you mentioned not to enhance plums for sharpness.

(I may be wrong but still dare to post to learn wrong/right in this what i've thought of).

Fabs Forns
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
It looks good to me, Mital, thanks for taking the time to repost :)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me feedback, very much appreciated.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Poses are great, and lighting is nice too. I like the midtone enhancements Mital provided. Congrats! :)

Morkel Erasmus
06-23-2009, 05:37 PM
liked the original, but I think Mital's touch-up enhanced it. comp works very well for me Fabs since it's not your run-of-the-mill heron shot and portrays great interaction with a 'story' to it. you can almost feel his fear of her rejecting his home-building material :)

Chris Kotze
06-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Super comp and detail. lovely capture

Dave Barnes
06-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Fabs I like the concept of the crop and may have even gone a step further to further emphasize the curves formed by the necks and wing.
I trust you dont mind my input, something like this? Should have the total wing curve of the front bird though.

http://www.thedwbgallery.com/images/fabs.jpg

Fabs Forns
06-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Thanks, Dave, I have that crop too, but I'd like, as you mention, the whole curve of the wing :)
Great minds think alike ;)

DarrenMcKenna
06-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I like the one up, one down composition, I like that you have good detail in the whites. Overall you might have gone just a tad brighter. A wonderful image IMO.

Juan Aragonés
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Sure it works Fabs, in fact, it works very well. I like it a lot :-)