PDA

View Full Version : Fly on leaf

Alfred Forns
06-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Trying to find flies in prettier settings ... they seem to favor rather strange perches !!!

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 1DMk3
Sigma 180 macro 1.4X
f 16.0 1/400
Av -1/3
ISO 1600

Rene Quenneville
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Very nice Al,
the fly is sharp and the leave provides a nice framing. Background color is very pleasing. Perfect depth of field.

Dave Mills
06-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi Alfred, This ones on my list of fly favorites. Beautifully handled!

Julie Kenward
06-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Love the pattern on the cover of the eye, Alfred! Marvelous color pallette as well.

Ed Vatza
06-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Excellent work, Alfred. Superb detail in the fly and wonderful color in the background. Very nicely done.

Steve Maxson
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Alfred. You've been posting some pretty cool insect images recently. :) I like all the red tones and the diagonal comp of the leaf. Good placement of the fly in the frame. My only wish would be for fewer specular highlights on the fly. There are a couple small background specks above your copyright notice. Well done.

Alfred Forns
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Hi Steve

Any suggestions for the specular highlights on the fly? I have done the best just setting up diffuser and using as primary light with fill flash form the twin macro lights a -3 or so.

With my current situation I have ben relying more on the flashes and have not been able to set up my large diffusers Was think of rigging little diffusers on the light itself ... any thoughts !!!

Mike Moats
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Alfred the macro man, love the details and the color is over the top. Well done.

Steve Maxson
06-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Steve

Any suggestions for the specular highlights on the fly? I have done the best just setting up diffuser and using as primary light with fill flash form the twin macro lights a -3 or so.

With my current situation I have ben relying more on the flashes and have not been able to set up my large diffusers Was think of rigging little diffusers on the light itself ... any thoughts !!!

Hi Alfred. I have the same problem myself so I don't think I can offer any real help here. :( I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use macro flash to get a natural (not flashed) look to my images - especially with insects having reflective bodies. I have small diffusers on my macro twin lights though I'm not sure they make all that much difference. I have had some luck recently using the twin lights as fill (flash set at Manual at 1/32 power) in overcast light, but that requires a static subject due to a low shutter speed on the camera.

Charles Wesley
06-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Alfred,

Great composition and I really like the colors as per Mike Moats...

Thomas Herou
06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Superb colors and comp!