PDA

View Full Version : Frond and Friend

Steve Maxson
06-22-2009, 12:47 PM
This is an emerging Ostrich Fern frond with a fly (species unknown) perched strategically. I like the flow of the lines in this image. 40D, Canon 180 f/3.5 macro, 1/25, f/8, ISO 400. Comments are welcome.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I like the pattern of the plant, composition and the fly adds to it. I've never seen this kind of fern, thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Like the design and the pattern of the fern. Whaddy think of the color in the repost? (The ORIG seemed to have a big green cast....)

Julie Kenward
06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Lovely fern and what a great position to find that fly! He's like an ornament on a christmas tree!

I'm not sure whether I like Artie's repost more than yours...his feels more natural in color but it also seems a little flatter in the midtones. Hmmm...

Steve Maxson
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Like the design and the pattern of the fern. Whaddy think of the color in the repost? (The ORIG seemed to have a big green cast....)

Hi Artie and thanks for your comments and the repost. The color of the fly does look more neutral to me in your version so you were able to remove the green cast. For future reference, I would be interested in how you did this. I did do some adjusting of the colors before posting (the original was shot using cloudy WB which is too yellow to my eye - even though the greens on these new fronds have a yellowish cast) by using Levels to add some blue and red - maybe I should have added a little magenta as well?

Alfred Forns
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Love it Steve Everything about it is unique !!! Do like the color of the repost subtle but effective !!! Big Congrats !!

Arthur Morris
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
From the latest Digital Basics update. This is the first time that I have shared it so mum's the word.

Image/Duplicate/Filter/Blur/Average. Go to the original image and open a Curves dialogue box. Click once on the middle tone eyedropper. Then go to the average blur copy and click anywhere on it. Sometimes this yields perfect color, but more often than not is points you in the right direction while over-doing it (as with this image which turned an ugly magenta). The trick is our old friend the Opacity Slider. Adjust the opacity to taste. Clicking the preview button on and off will help you compare. This was at about20% Opacity.

I use this so much, on more than half my images, that I have created an action that I named Shift f-8. The above alone is worth the $20 that we get for Digital Basics and there is tons more great stuff in the PDF :):):) including my complete Digital Workdflow.

Also, check the last two BAA Bulletins for two great free Photoshop tips.

Steve Maxson
06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
From the latest Digital Basics update. This is the first time that I have shared it so mum's the word.

Thanks Artie. I won't breathe a word. :) :)

Arthur Morris
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
YAW. Much appreciated.... Have you tried it?

Gordon Craig
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
The composition on this picture is outstanding. At first my on criticism was the leave sticking out on the bottom right, but the more I look at it I believe it actually adds to the picture.

Ed Vatza
06-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Very nice comp and execution. The green on green looks great to me. I may actually prefer the original.

Nagesh Mula
06-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Steve, its a very sharp and nice composition. The fly at the top is 'icing on the cake'. Congratulations!!