PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Sparrow

Axel Hildebrandt
06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
This is a sparrow species that is not exactly cooperative and they stay on the ground most of the time. I got lucky with this one as approaching them is difficult. I really like their unusual song. If you are not familiar with it, there is an audio file at this website if you scroll down: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Grasshopper_Sparrow/id It was a life bird for me.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/113717859/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/320s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 400, cropped from horizontal

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
do you ask them nicely to sit on these flower for you?? ;)
another super shot. great detail and killer BG. I would consider and even closer crop - just the flower top and the bird in a pano-type comp.

Kiran Poonacha
06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Beauty indeed.. Loved the pose and colourful perch, nice clean BG too.. agree with morkel on the crop.

Mital Patel
06-22-2009, 12:47 PM
what a fantastic series you've got Axel. Big congrats.

Ilija Dukovski
06-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Beautiful image Axel,
You are doing fantastic job with grassland birds
singing poses. They often sing deep in the grass
and it is very difficult to get them out on an isolated perch
even to see them, not to mention take a photo.

Manos Papadomanolakis
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I really like the singing pose,perch and the fantastic bg!!!

Steve Maxson
06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Very nicely done, Axel, with a good singing pose and a clean background. I like the comp as presented. On my monitor it looks like the head area is a bit oversharpened (?) I expect the full-res file looks better.

Arthur Morris
06-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Love the flower and the singing pose. In 32 years of birding I have seen about two of these. Maybe one....Way to go.

DustinFinn
06-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I really like the bird/perch against this background the pose with open beak is really nice.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Fantastic image Axel. Small bird, big frame and killer BG. Your comps are really exceptional. :)

Mike Tracy
06-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Really nice pose. I see these frequently on the families ranch but seldom on such a captivating perch. Love the singing pose and background.

Artie, I can show you these by the dozens !

Dave Phillips
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
good lookin' bird, have never seen one.
All the colors harmonize really well together.....head angle with open
mouth singing is right on IMO

Ilija Dukovski
06-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Love the flower and the singing pose. In 32 years of birding I have seen about two of these. Maybe one....Way to go.

Hey Artie, if you want to see more of these I have an advice. Try airports.
At least here in MA, they love hanging around runways.

Caroline Darmo
06-22-2009, 11:40 PM
This is an extremely rare bird where I live, I've only seen one once. I love the singing, background and fantastic perch.

Stu Bowie
06-22-2009, 11:59 PM
You seem to be getting lucky wih these little guys perching on flowers. Great timing with the open beak, and I like his pose. Well captured.

Arthur Morris
06-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Hey Artie, if you want to see more of these I have an advice. Try airports.
At least here in MA, they love hanging around runways.

Thanks Ilija. I guess I will have to fly up to Boston soon!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-23-2009, 07:12 AM

...and hopefully you won't get arrested. :) A few months back someone was looking for snowy owls near my local airport with binoculars only. It didn't take the police long to stop and question him.

Ilija Dukovski
06-23-2009, 08:05 AM
...and hopefully you won't get arrested. :) A few months back someone was looking for snowy owls near my local airport with binoculars only. It didn't take the police long to stop and question him.

Oh no I didn't say go to international airports :eek: I meant local airports and ask somebody there for permition.
I got my population of nesting Grasshoppers Sparrows at a local airport in Turner Falls/Greenfield in Western Mass.
The staff there didn't mind me watching as long as I didn't actually walk on the runway :D This one has a convenient parking lot
close enough to be able to see the birds without actually entering the airport.

BTW, another bird that is seen at airports in Mass is Upland Sandpiper.

Ilija Dukovski
06-23-2009, 08:21 AM

You're welcome, we've got a nice assortment of birds here, from Roseate Terns to Vesper Sparrows.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-23-2009, 09:15 AM
I got my population of nesting Grasshoppers Sparrows at a local airport in Turner Falls/Greenfield in Western Mass.
The staff there didn't mind me watching as long as I didn't actually walk on the runway :D This one has a convenient parking lot
close enough to be able to see the birds without actually entering the airport.

BTW, another bird that is seen at airports in Mass is Upland Sandpiper.

Interesting, I used to live in Northampton but never went to the airport in Turners Falls.

Arthur Morris
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Oh no I didn't say go to international airports :eek: I meant local airports and ask somebody there for permition.

Hi Ilija, I knew that. I was trying to be funny :( When I lived in NYC, there was a population of Henslow's Sparrows at the old Galesville Airport but my understanding is that they have been extirpated. Thanks for your help.

Mike Lentz
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
First off, nice work Axel! I like the clean BG, perch/flower and singing pose.
If anybody is ever up in Minnesota these are about as easy to get as it comes (not to take anything away from the image as bird counts are different around the country)... I recently had Grace Scalzo and Jimmy G up here and we were leaving the park behind my home and were surrounded by these lil buzz sounding singers. So if your in Minny, shoot me a PM and I can get you on them...

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Nice one Axel. We have a population of Grasshopper Sparrows is located near the airport too. Just an FYI, I find these guys to respond usually quite well to tape, even without a blind.