PDA

View Full Version : Phalaenopsis Orchid World Trenton FCC/AOS

John Lowin
06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Another orchid from my basement. This is a highly awarded orchid from the early 1990's. The color is so vibrant I decided to create the image on a black BG. I've got to vary my perspective. However, I can't decide if I really like it. It might be just a bit too dramatic, what do you think? The blossoms are very waxy and have incredible substance. The black spot at the right within the flower area was unavoidable without dramatically changing the overall head-on perspective. (Once again illuminated by window light.) (No I didn't shoot it on white also) Hope you like my image anyway. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

F/8 1/5s ISO 640
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon Remote Shutter Release
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Dave Mills
06-22-2009, 12:01 PM
John, I like the lighting and the black backround makes the image pop. I feel the orchids in the backround take away from the impact of the front orchid.

Julie Kenward
06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree...there's something about the composition...those back flowers don't have enough separation or something...can't quite put my finger on it. Also, if you had been just a tad higher, you would have eliminated the little bit of green shooting off from the main stem. I'm guessing that is the part that leads to the main flower on the right but it looks disjointed from this angle.

As for the colors - I love it against the black BG. It's beautifully exposed and I love the pop of the colors.

Alfred Forns
06-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi John The overall image has a high appeal and does catch your attention One single flower would probably be even more appealing !!! .... also love the black bg !!!

Rene Quenneville
06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice picture John.
I agree with the previous comments. Repetition can be powerful but here we seem to miss something. We miss separation from the center flower (sharpness and tone difference. The left flower is position exactly like the center one but the right one is ttoaly different, this is what I think could unbalance the image.
Maybe you could try to put the whole image in B&W and only show the center flower in color.