PDA

View Full Version : box turtle 7501

Joel Arrington
02-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Canon 20D, 1 sec @ f/22, Aperture priority; 140-400 mm @400 mm, flash

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Very cool image, Ilike the turtles pose and expression.

Maybe a lttle more room for the front leg would be better. For these situations I make a few high up then I try to attain some from the ground, did you try any lying down?

Robert

Joel Arrington
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
What! And get myself all wet? - Kidding - sometimes I'll get the camera down even at the expense of a soaking or dirty clothes, but not this time. Seems to me the ground was wet like the turtle. I considered rinsing the detritus from it, but some would consider that unethical. I don't and wish now I had.

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi joel

I know how it goes about getting wet. With me sometimes its better to just get it over with and do it even if you dont need to, otherwise I get lazy.
I dont mind the detritus, now that big old leave at the top is a little distracting.

I love the expression though, it makes the shot work, detritus, leave or not.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree with Robert on the leave at the top. I would suggest going for details here as well. A close-up fo the face or just the patterns of the shell. When confronted with an image and a confusing BG, I go for details.

You did well here with the comp and arranging it to look pleasing amongst the grasses.

D. Robert Franz
02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Tough location with all the distracting weeds and grasses a low angle would help greatly. Nice alert look from the turtle. Going in real tight as suggested above would also help eliminate the distractions....

Milo Burcham
02-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I agree with the comments about the distractions but still a nice photograph. I have not seen and eastern box turtle in eons! Which makes me ask, your name is very familiar, and it seems to me you had something to do with fishing reports or fishing photos from the Va. Beach/ NC area back in the 70's. I see some saltwater fishing pics from the area on your web site. I grew up in Va Beach and moved away in the late '81. Arch and Pat Bracher ("the twins") are 2 of my best friends and I figure that you must know them. Feel free to send me a pm.