PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Crawly Out Of The Center

Jay Gould
06-22-2009, 05:48 AM
The center of this flower reached out to me ;)

I considered shooting with a greater DOF - perhaps all the way to f/32; however, I didn't want the creepy crawlies to appear stiff and like plastic. Unfortunately, I "thought" too long and along came the bain of outdoor macro photography - the wind!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 20 June; 11:59am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: EF 100 Macro f/2.8
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 800
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/30
Aperture: f/11
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

C&Cs gratefully anticiapted!

Julie Kenward
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I really like your composition on this one, Jay. You really put the focal point right where it should be. I do think if you had stopped down the aperture a bit more that far left upper petal might have been more in focus and, considering it's the one we can see the most of, it would have been nice for it to be highly focused.

Any idea what kind of flower this is?

Alfred Forns
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Really nice Jay Image has strong appeal Well composed and good tech settings plus your thinking things out !!! Would have like seeing it at f 32 I think it would have worked !!! Big Congrats on this one !!!

Jay Gould
06-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Thank you both; I am attempting to find out the name of the flower. Cheers, Jay

Mike Moats
06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey Jay, remember pixels are free so shoot what you think will work and shoot a couple different f/stops and see what works the best when you get home. Great color and nice details here, agree a little more DOF would have been nice. Water drops add a nice touch.

Bob Allen
06-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Jay, the plant is a member of the Melastomataceae. Wikipedia has a photo of what may be this species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melastomataceae