PDA

View Full Version : Australian Wood Duck wing spread

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Yesterday morning was gloomy, overcast and foggy. I followed two pairs of Wood Ducks around near my wife's horse's paddocks. They are such endearing ducks, though I was lucky to get relatively close. This is a female.

I wish I had captured the peak of the wingspread, but I am still happy as I don't get to be so close locally to such wonderful moments.
30D and 300mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4x, ISO800, Manual Metering at +1 stop, f/6.3, 1/320th, 430ex at zero with beamer, HH, FF, small dark patch about half the size of duck's head masked in the ULC.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I like the pose, soft light, angle and eye contact. I would give it more room at the top and sharpen the bird more.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
AhhhH! I hate sharpening. :D I selected the bird with a QM and applied a sharpen edges (then turned it down to 50%) then applied smart sharpen at 120/0.3 and cannot remember the other setting (then also turned it back about 40%). Then refined edges. Appeared sharp enough on my laptop. Now that you mention..... Thanks Axel! :)

Arthur Morris
06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Patience Oshkosh. I am doing a big piece on sharpening in the next Bulletin. Big but simple... IAC< I did sloppy QM of the whole bird and ran a 20/75/0 contrast mask. Let me know what you think.

IAC, love the soft light and the raised wings.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow!
Arthur's repost is simply great. Love the raised wings and environment captured here.
What's that thing in the beak? it looks like some kind of winged insect.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Artie, you are the Maestro and I humbly thank you Sir. Can't wait for the bulletin! Hurry! :)

Juan Carlos, it feeds on vegetation, so it is some grass or a plant matter.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Artie, you are the Maestro and I humbly thank you Sir. Can't wait for the bulletin! Hurry! :)

Oshkosh, You are welcome. The contrast mask stuff is all on Digital Basics. And thanks for your kind words.

Stu Bowie
06-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Super pose Akos, and like the low angle. With regards to their colours, the poor female doesnt have a patch on the male.