PDA

View Full Version : Otter Cliffs from the Cobble Beach

Ed Vatza
06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Another HDR composite image from Acadia National Park (Maine). The series of images from which this was made were taken about 15 minutes before sunrise on what was an overcast morning. I had hoped for early morning sun to be be reflecting off of the pink granite but had to shift gears and move to the moodiness of the morning which I think I captured here.

Canon 30D and 24-70mm f/2.8L lens, tripod-mounted.

Base image was shot at 5.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 200; 0 EV with the remaining four images shot at +/- 1 and 2 EV.

Robert Amoruso
06-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice work Ed, I do like the mood and tone (cold tone) of this image. I am not sure this would make it better but including more of the right to capture the FG shore in total would have made a strong diagonal line of the shore line intersecting an opposing diagonal of the farther shore and cliff.

I think not getting the sun through the clouds here gave you an excellent opportunity to capture a moody, beautiful image.

BTW, I have been here and really appreciate seeing this image.

chris Bycroft
06-22-2009, 05:39 AM
Enjoyed looking at your HDR photo. The blurry sea is fantasitic and really like the lighting and scenery. I have found that I get some slightly unsharp landforms when I have tried using Photomatics. Not sure if you are using this program, but the cliffs in the background don't seem to be sharp. May be some local increase of shadows in such places in these areas may reduce this effect. I am interested if you have any thoughts on this.

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2009, 05:47 PM
great mood captured! love the water flow, the brooding clouds and the leading lines. I'm with Chris on the softness of the cliffs though.

Dave Mills
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Ed...been there 3 times and was lucky on my 3rd attempt to get the right light. The HDR effect in this image I find overall soft and somewhat pleasing to my eye.You turned rather drab light into something moody and interesting. Agree with Robert about the comp being more interesting with the shoreline intersecting an opposing diagonal.

Ed Vatza
06-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Regarding the lines, I also made images like this.

Regarding softness, I noticed a little but it not enough to trouble me or really any of the "real" as opposed to "real critical BPN" folk. I hasten to add that this comment is not meant to be critical of the BPN folks. I look for the comments and criticisms here as a way to get better and make my images better.

While in Bar Harbor, I had the opportunity to view the work of a couple of local photographers and talk about what sells. I walked away feeling that my work is every bit as good as, and often better than (thanks to the critiques I've gotten here over the past 18 months) what they are selling. No, my work is not perfect. Far from it. So keep the feedback coming and thank you.

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey Ed,
I think the HDR work here is nice and I find the overall image appealing because of the colors and the softness. You know I am a huge fan of massive DOF's.....but when done right, as in this case, it's all about the mood and feel. I like both comps but lean towards your first presentation. The long exposure and the colors and mood make this one for me. Way to make lemonade out of lemons! Nicely done!