PDA

View Full Version : Here's Looking At You

Jay Gould
06-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi, shot this during a macro workshop; hope you like it - it IS looking at you ;) :)

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 20 June; 11:47am
Light condition: overcast
Lens: EF 100 Macro f/2.8
Extender: none
Flash/Comp: none
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: AV
Speed: 1/50
Aperture: f/8
Exp Comp: +1
Metering: Pattern
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes

C&Cs always appreciated!

Cheers, Jay

Alfred Forns
06-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Sure like it Jay !!! Looks like you it was a good workshop for you !!!

I like precise focusing, clean bg and selected dof. Framing wise would have made it from a slighter higher angle but still below, corp from the right and leave a little more space to the left.

Tech wise no sure why use ISO 200 on your fine performing camera? ... 800 would have given you better shutter speed and might even consider going to 1600. I know you had a tripod but still will make a difference. You are going to do great with macro !!!! btw the longer length lenses would have giving the same image but from a longer distance .. at times an advantage !!! Big Congrats Jay !!!

Jay Gould
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Al, Mike's DOF lesson helped prior to going to the workshop.

The push at this workshop was to use the lowest ISO that would do the job; biggest thing was using Live View, zooming in to 10X for manually focus, and take the shot.

Live View is amazing especially when you push the DOF button and see the image exactly like it will appear.

Have a few more that I will slowly post.

Cheers,

Alfred Forns
06-21-2009, 08:18 AM
If you have the time it is the ideal thing to do Jay

ISO wise I think you are shooting yourself in the foot ... Best thing to do is use the lowest ISO technique the switch for a high ISO and compare results. Just do what works !!! Looking forward to more macro images !!!

Kaushik Balakumar
06-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Lovely sharpness & DOF to keep the entire insect in focus.
Would second Al's views on composition.
Will look fwd to more macro images... :)

Julie Kenward
06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey Jay! The only thing I'm not loving about this image is the lighter color leaf on top...it is pulling my eye away something terrible. Have you considered toning it down a bit?

Great insect! Might look at giving his eye another round of selective sharpening since it's kind of out of the focal plane but the rest looks excellent!

Jay Gould
06-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Jay! The only thing I'm not loving about this image is the lighter color leaf on top...it is pulling my eye away something terrible. Have you considered toning it down a bit?

Great insect! Might look at giving his eye another round of selective sharpening since it's kind of out of the focal plane but the rest looks excellent!

Julie, thanks for looking and commenting. Other cropping and a minor adjustment in LR, this has had no PP.

:D I am currently in the Layers lesson for PS; not yet educationally ready for selective toning or selective sharpening. All tutorials gratefully accepted! This is basically right out of the camera. Cheers,