PDA

View Full Version : Posted Image Security

Norm Dulak
06-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Images posted in BPN forums are somewhat protected in that, by limiting file size to 200 kb or less, it would be difficult to obtain a quality print of any size based on what is posted. Still, theft of images from the forums seems relatively easy.

Does BPN have any procedures in place for the protection of posted images from theft, or could protective methods be put in place? Could the use of watermarks that would be difficult to clone out be helpful, or would they be too distracting?

I ask these questions in view of the member photo galleries that are now being offered. I hope that they will not become shopping venues for those of ill intent.

What, if anything, could be done to protect gallery images or other postings from theft?

Norm Dulak

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi Norm, apart from very distracting watermarks there is not much we can do (that I know of)...if someone wants your image they will take it. That is the calculated risk in posting anything online. To me the "exposure" and learning experience of posting at a place like BPN should far outweigh any concerns of theft from small images. I'm sure that is not the best option you want to hear, but that is my take on it :-) Maybe some others can chime in with ideas...

P.S. the galleries are limited to an even smaller 150kb size per photo, if that is of any relief for you.

Norm Dulak
06-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Daniel:

Thanks for your comments, which I think are correct in all respects.

Norm Dulak

John Chardine
06-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I wonder if right-clicking and copying could be disabled for people not logged-in to BPN? I know it can be disabled because I've seen it out there on the web before, but I wonder if it can be done selectively?

Fabs Forns
06-21-2009, 08:09 PM
On a Mac, you don't need to right click, just highlight and drag to the desktop.
On my personal website, images are protected from right click or drag, but they will be available in print screen.
Nothing gets in the way of image theft, except the size you post.
It comes with the territory and one price to pay for exposure.

Desmond Chan
06-21-2009, 10:34 PM
It comes with the territory and one price to pay for exposure.

I remember not so long ago, only people who logged on could read the posts and see the photos. Then it was changed to anybody can do that without logging on. Somehow I feel the previous way is more secure, but I am no computer/internet expert so I could be wrong there. Is exposure the reason for the change?

Fabs Forns
06-21-2009, 10:56 PM
I remember not so long ago, only people who logged on could read the posts and see the photos. Then it was changed to anybody can do that without logging on. Somehow I feel the previous way is more secure, but I am no computer/internet expert so I could be wrong there. Is exposure the reason for the change?

Yes, Desmond. If we require login and a person's purpose is to steal, registration is an easy process.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-22-2009, 01:53 PM
If someone really wants an image there is no way to protect it. Even if right-click is disabled, the image can be found in the browser's cache. I think the relatively small size of the posted images is what 'protects' them best.

John Chardine
06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Agreed. At 300 dpi, a maximum-sized BPN image would come out at 3.4" x 2.7", which could go in a page corner of a magazine but not on your wall. However, these make great web images, as we know! One factor in our favour is that BPN is tiny compared to the big image houses like Flickr et al. or pBase.

Richard Lovison
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned before on BPN but there is an image search engine called TinEye that is in beta:

http://tineye.com/

that after installing their browser plug-in allows one to right click on any web image to do a search to see if that image is located any where else on the web. Their database is still rather small though their service may be more valuable in the future.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned before on BPN but there is an image search engine called TinEye that is in beta:

http://tineye.com/

that after installing their browser plug-in allows one to right click on any web image to do a search to see if that image is located any where else on the web. Their database is still rather small though their service may be more valuable in the future.

I think this is how Fabs found out that someone used one of her images.

Desmond Chan
06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
One factor in our favour is that BPN is tiny compared to the big image houses like Flickr et al. or pBase.

True, but many also seem to be only posting small images there now.

Dan Brown
06-23-2009, 07:59 AM
True, but many also seem to be only posting small images there now.

Smugmug allows one to display a small image while still offering a large image for purchase, right click protected. Also, Smug allows one to overlay a custom watermark that can be changed, image by image if one wants and still offer the image, watermark free for purchase.

Norm Dulak
06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
All of the good comments and suggestions offered here are greatly appreciated!

Norm Dulak

Michael Lloyd
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't get too comfortable with the 200k limit being any kind of impediment. Genuine Fractals is an excellent piece of software for up-rezing an image.

I recently had an image stolen and used in two major newspapers (that I'm aware of), a very respected magazine, and at least one brochure. So far the experience has been negative. The ad agency that stole the image has pretty much thumbed their nose at the letters the PPA attorney sent them and lied (told her that we had talked and I understood everything now... I can't begin to tell you what I really think). The image that they used was sub 200k in size. It looks good in brochures... online... and in newspaper ads...