PDA

View Full Version : What? Another Contest???

Julie Kenward
06-20-2009, 08:43 AM
That's right...and another chance to win a BPN hat, too!

This time the theme is... ABSTRACTS!

Get in close and find something interesting...a repeating pattern...cool colors...interesting shapes...just make sure it's got an abstract feel to it!

And it's always okay to use post-processing techniques to enhance your image but no special treatments are allowed in this contest - keep the twirling filters and other special effects for the OOTB forum photos! We want to see what you can find "in camera" that makes for an interesting abstract. Also, the image must be based on something found in nature - no fair using manmade objects as your subject for this contest!

How to participate:

Create an abstract image between July 4th and July 6th (this is a holiday weekend for those of us living in the United States so many of us should be able to get out there with our cameras - although all our friends abroad are encouraged to participate as well!)

Post your best abstract image on Sunday, July 5th before midnight GMT (ONE ENTRY PER PERSON) and put "Abstract Challenge: (Name of Photo)" in the title so we know it's being included for judging. You may continue to post non-abstract photos during this time - just use a regular title, instead.

Vote for your favorite image between Monday, July 7th and Thursday, July 10th. ONE VOTE PER PERSON PLEASE! Leave your vote in the comment section of the entry you like best by proclaiming "This is the winner!" The one with the most winning comments will be announced on Friday morning, July 11th and wins a free BPN hat and bragging rights! :D

So fire up those lenses and start thinking about where you might find your winning abstract entry!

Note: Anyone may participate in this challenge (including moderators) but only non-moderators are eligible to win the grand prize and bragging rights.

Richard Lovison
06-21-2009, 06:38 AM
May I suggest something? I believe it would be easier for all those involved if a separate sub-forum to Macro and Flora could be created just for contests where the entries would be placed. Just a thought.

Julie Kenward
06-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Not sure but I'll ask. Is there a reason for this? Do you find the contests to be bothersome? Just trying to get an idea if it's a plus or a minus to do these every once in a while...

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss...I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!

Richard Lovison
06-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh no Jules, no, I don't find them bothersome at all. As a matter of fact, I think they're great and a lot of fun. I just thought it would be easier for voting if the entries were all in one place for easier viewing. I think it was Mike that indicated he wasn't aware of Roman's entry in the last contest... I just feel the entries can get lost among the other regular submissions.

Sorry for being so vague in my original post.

Fabs Forns
06-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Richard, we run three contests a year in Macro. That does not grant the creation of another Gallery just for that. That is the reason we use the words Contest or Theme before the caption.
Thank you for your feedback!

Richard Lovison
06-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Thank you for your feedback!

You're quite welcome Fabs! Thanks for listening. :)

Julie Kenward
06-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Richard, I think the reason some of the entries got a little lost last time was because we started posting early. If we all wait until Sunday to post then they should all be together this time!

Richard Lovison
06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Jules,

You're probably correct... needless concern on my part. :)

All the best.

Mike Moats
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
:DCan we post more than one image:D

Julie Kenward
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Mike, what are we going to do with you? :D How will it look if the teacher can't even follow the instructions??? Both times??? :):):)

Morkel Erasmus
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry Julie - late question...does the photo HAVE to be taken during 4-6 July? can it be an earlier image, say from May or April? we who don't live in the US don't have the same holidays as you? :)

thanks

Julie Kenward
06-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Morkel, yes, the point is to get everyone motivated to go out and make NEW photos at this specific time of year. I realize it's not a holiday outside the U.S. but it is a weekend and I assume most people can get out at least once and try to make a new image from something they photograph.

Think of it more as a challenge than a contest. Sure, a BPN hat would be great but the real goal is to stretch your imagination with what is out there to photograph right now in your part of the world.

Does that make sense?

Morkel Erasmus
06-25-2009, 08:10 AM
okay thanks! will try - yeah it is a weekend here, it just seemed like it was linked to the US holiday that's why I asked :)

Gordon Craig
06-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Hello Mike & Jules,

Is it permissable to use a Lensbaby lens?

Thanks,
Gordon

Julie Kenward
06-29-2009, 07:43 AM
You betcha! Use whatever you have in your camera bag, Gordon!

Ed Vatza
07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Ahem!

I went out and made my image this morning. Then it occurred to me. Today is the 3rd. That makes Sunday the 5th not the 6th. Am I missing something?

Fabs Forns
07-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Ed, I think Julie made a mistake with the dates. I did the same while writing my class schedule yesterday :eek:

Julie Kenward
07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Yep...I did. Post on Sunday...no matter WHAT day it is!

Now if it would just stop raining here....

Fabs Forns
07-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Now if it would just stop raining here....

And here :cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Bummer for me. My camera was never taken out all weekend. :(

Anita Bower
07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
So, does this mean I can't vote for Jule's image as the winner? Which, I already did. If I can't, I will go to my second choice. Pls. let me know.

Julie Kenward
07-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, Anita you can vote for a moderator's image - they just can't win the BPN hat!

Anita Bower
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks, that is what I initially thought.