PDA

View Full Version : Strands

Kaushik Balakumar
06-20-2009, 03:53 AM
While making images of the Dandelion seeds, I noticed on the camera LCD that the flash light I was using was diffracted by the hairs forming some interesting band patterns. Hence moved up and close to capture some close-ups of the hairs.
Decided to try placing (experimenting with) flashes (two of them) in several different positions to try and accentuate this 'banding'.

Would like to know your views...

Techs:
Nikon D300, Nikkor 105mm VR micro, 2 external flashes placed behind the hairs on the right and left
f/8, 1/250, ISO200

denise ippolito
06-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Kaushik, I think this is very artistic with an interesting pattern of lines.Has a very abstract look. The neutral BG plays off the slight colors making an overall desaturated look come together nicely, I also like the lighting and the composition w/ the stem on an angle.

Julie Kenward
06-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Neat image, Kaushik. Only thing distracting to me is the large yellow area on the left side of the frame. If you could get that to blend in a little more with the rest I think you'd have a strong image here.

Anita Bower
06-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I agree with Jules. I like this different look at dandelions.

Arthur Morris
06-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Interesting and creative. I would love to see a version with the end of the stem in a rule of thirds position.... Love the lighting.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Very interesting image Kaushik. I like it as presented with all the lines making for a wonderful graphic image.

Gordon Craig
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
This is a very artistic image. If you read this I would be interested to know what the light was like? Was it low light in the early morning or dusk. I am interested in your use of flashes in macro work. Do you do this a lot?