PDA

View Full Version : Tanager 2

Steve Large
06-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Hi Everyone,
Here is a shot with a bit better lighting.

Stats: Canon 50D, 500mm + 1.4X, ISO 400, 1/60 sec at F/7.1

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Stu Bowie
06-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Steve, super pose with good eye contact.Lovely colours, and the his catch a bonus. I feel the slow ss let you down with regards sharpness, so another round of USM will work. I would maybe take a bit off the top.

Morkel Erasmus
06-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi Steve - better light in this one and a more open comp with lower angle to the bird. colours are sweet, and the catch is great - I agree with Stu on the SS letting you down. Another round of sharpening might work but it might also aggravate loss of IQ due to slow SS.

Scott Frye
06-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I like the green bug as it adds another color to this already colorful scene. I might to try to clone out the vertical stick in front of the tananger as it seems to box in the bird. All other limbs are diaganol or downward pointing and since this stick is vertical it draws attention and breaks the overall flow of the picture

Herb Houghton
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Very nice colors and pose. I agree the vertical branch is somewhat distracting to the natural flow of the other branches.

Jeff Cashdollar
06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Steve,

Did you consider stopping down to help out the shutter or increasing the ISO. Steep angle and limbs at 45 degree tend to pull my eye out of frame, maybe clean up a few. Its all about feel at this point. Beautiful colors on this bird, thanks for sharing.

Steve Large
06-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your comments. I haven't had a chance to modify this shot as I have been away. As for the sharpness, it seems fine in the larger (raw) version. I will try cloning out the vertical branch and changing the cropping.

Take care,

Steve

Steve Large
06-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi guys,
Here is the re-post with some off the top and that branch removed.

Thanks,

Steve

Paul Kusmin
06-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Yes Steve, I was just about to mention the top leaf and I see with your re-post that it's dealt with.
Nice pose and great moment captured.

Steve Large
06-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the comment. I found the secret to these guys as regards availability. It is much better to shoot in the early morning as these green caterpillars seem more abundant before the hot sun hits. At this time there are not just single tanagers but small flocks of 6 to 8 males foraging and feeding at the same time. They also seem less skiddish and will approach within about 20 - 50 feet.

Take care,

Steve