PDA

View Full Version : GBH w/ big meal slo-mo

Andy Nguyen
06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
http://www.ndshow.com/FTP/BPN/GBH-fish.jpg
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4 lens with TC-17IIE 1.7x on the D300, hand held, Manual exposure mode, ISO 1000, 0 EV, f8, 1/1600 sec.

You all probably have seen this hunting/feeding technique before. I had envisioned this shot to be one of those "slow motion" wildlife videos. My points of focus were the Heron's eyes and the texture of the water. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the look in the fish's eyes moments after being speared.

C & C would be greatly appreciated.
Andy Nguyen

Dave Phillips
06-19-2009, 10:39 PM
nice behavior image Andy......tough call on the composition, but might work the eye
a bit brighter as well as the fish eye and body rainbow colors.

a slo-mo video would be great!!!

Sid Garige
06-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Excellent timing, details and exposure. Wonderfully executed. Would like to see little more of heron. IMO that would make this a complete package.

Brian Barcelos
06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Andy, I don't mind the crop at all. I especially love the frozen in time water splash. The look on the fish's face is priceless (poor guy).
Brian

Chris Kotze
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Well timed and excellent action captured

Julie Kenward
06-20-2009, 12:21 AM
I also don't mind the comp/crop but more of the heron certainly wouldn't have hurt. You have wonderful color in the fish and heron - I'd like to see you try to pull a little more blue into the water.

Great action on this image!

Scott Frye
06-20-2009, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't change anything -- great as posted.

Juan Aragonés
06-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Wow, the timing is fantastic. Love the action and the eyes of both animals, the water splash has a very important role in the composition and I like it a lot. I would add just a litle bit of more room at the left. Very good job visualizing the image that you wanted to get and waiting for the right moment. Way to go ;-)

Manos Papadomanolakis
06-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Excellent timing, details and exposure!!!

Morkel Erasmus
06-20-2009, 05:38 AM
great patience, it paid off! stunning shot! the droplets, the fish speared, both with eye contact. stunning shot! is it a rainbow trout that was caught?

Harshad Barve
06-20-2009, 08:33 AM
This is so good, Excellent image
Harshad

Ramon M. Casares
06-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree that a bit more heron to the left would be nice, but honestly I didn't mind the crop you've chosen the scene and natural moment are so powerfull and stunning! Great soft light, wondefull details and action and with an excellent level of drama!
Congratulations!

Stu Bowie
06-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Great action captured, and the splash of water shows it. Eye to eye contact, and I would have liked to see a bit more space on the left.

Jeff Cashdollar
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
As a moment in the food chain, I like. It shows what the photographer wanted to display (I assume). Te catch moments of survival, from that perspective, it is spot on.

Randy Stout
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Excellent image.

To expand on Juan's observation, because the splash is such an important component of the image, I think the choice to include it all and sacrifice a bit of the heron to the left was the best compromise, assuming this is full frame.

Randy

Nagesh Mula
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Its an Amazing capture Andy, I too agree with Randy's comment on this.

Jory Griesman
06-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Great shot. Nice exposure and color of the GBH, which I find difficult, sometimes. Clearly pushing the ISO to 1000 let you freeze the water, without adding any discernible (to my eye) noise, and f/8 allowed good DOF. Although I might be inclined to crop a bit off the right, I'm ambivalent, as it would break up the splash, perhaps not ideally, and I do like it as is. A couple of other posters mentioned it might have been better to include more of the heron - was this possible, or was it cropped to exclude undesirable elements?

Jory

Andy Nguyen
06-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions, and points-of-view.

Since this was a moderate crop, I had plenty of room to spare on the left. I have gone back and tried a different crop according to your suggestion. After carefully comparing the two, I still feel that the initial crop concentrates more on the action. Any more of the Heron (and subsequently, more gray water) would distract from the intended primary subject.

Arthur Morris
06-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Spectacular as presented. The capture and inclusion of the whole splash is the bomb. As you have more room to the left, I would love to see a repsoted pano crop.

When you post an image, please let us know exactly how you metered.

Kiran Poonacha
06-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Such a beauty execution this is... great action captured...Congrats....

Andy Nguyen
06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Spectacular as presented. The capture and inclusion of the whole splash is the bomb. As you have more room to the left, I would love to see a repsoted pano crop.

When you post an image, please let us know exactly how you metered.

Thank you very much, Arthur.
Since it was cloudy, I took a sample of the grey water at 8mm center
weight and matrix metering mode.

Andy

Andy Nguyen
06-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Such a beauty execution this is... great action captured...Congrats....

Thank you Kiran. Do you see these Herons in India?

Arthur Morris
06-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Thank you very much, Arthur.
Since it was cloudy, I took a sample of the grey water at 8mm center
weight and matrix metering mode. Andy

Thanks Andy. That makes sense. It is important to know your equipment. With my MIII bodies, I would have needed to add about one stop of light to the metered exposure.