PDA

View Full Version : Black-tailed Hare

Doug Herr
06-19-2009, 06:39 AM
I spent a couple hours with this hare before it allowed me within range for photos:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/lagomorphs/btha04.jpg

Photo was made earlier this month in Carmichael (Sacramento County) California. Lighting was patchy overcast.

technical stuff:

Camera: Leica R8 with DMR digital back @ISO 400
Lens: Leica 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R
Support: shoulder stock and monopod
Exposure: IIRC, about 1/250 sec @ f/5.6
Metering: manual
File type: RAW
slight crop top & bottom

All comments welcome.

Fabs Forns
06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
How adorable is this!!! That shy look and the enormous ears!!!

As a photograph, it could go darker for more punch and have more room at the right and bottom, general rule is subject no bigger than 75% of the frame.
The weeds around his face a distracting, but you managed the focus of the images, that big stare, to be in the clear.
Looking forward to more.

Robert Amoruso
06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Doug,

I agree with Fabiola though the weeds at the face do not bother me as the eye is clear and grabs your attention. The weed that bothers me is the one at the ear.

Alfred Forns
06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Doug One of my favorite little guys ... got to love those ears !!!

Would give it a little more room all around or go real tight and focus on the head/ears !! btw if you do give it more room all around do darken the corners to draw attention to the center !!! Excellent !!!!

Blake Shadle
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Agree with all of the suggestions so far, especially about the weed over the ear. The ears are bit close to the frame, so as everyone suggested I'd give him a little more to breathe ;)

Steve Canuel
06-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Like the surrounding habitat and the look you got from him. Agree with previous comments about darkening a bit and the weed on the ear.

Doug Herr
06-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all your comments. The full image has a little more room top & bottom so I can crop less from the top. Excellent suggestions, all.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, a good job of getting the eye clear of the grasses. Would love to see a repost with the added room.

Doug Herr
06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
here's the full image:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/btha04nocrop.jpg

Arthur Morris
06-22-2009, 06:15 AM
From the one who came up with the less than 3/4 (75%) of the frame guideline, I prefer the repost.