PDA

View Full Version : Bar Harbor and the Mountains of Acadia

Ed Vatza
06-19-2009, 04:17 AM
... as seen from the Bar Island overlook at daybreak.

This is a five-image composite made using Photomatix HDR software. The base image was made at 1/200 sec @ f/11; ISO 200; -1 EV with the remaining four images shot at -3, -2, 0, +1 EV.

Images were made using a Canon 30D and 24-70mm f/2.8L lens, tripod mounted.

Ed Vatza
06-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Since these images were made right around sunrise (0445), I think I prefer the slightly darker image posted above. But I also have a version where I brightened the image up a bit more and, in the absence of knowing when it was made, I think it may actually be better. Your thoughts?

Michael Pancier
06-19-2009, 06:38 AM
I like a combination of the two. I like the tones in the greens, water and hills in the darker image, but the sky in the brighter image. Such a difference this scene is from the fall.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice HDR work Ed. Lovely details. Personally I too prefer the darker version for it look bit more dramatic.

Robert Amoruso
06-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Ed,

I go with the first but would suggest dialing down the saturation on the buildings and the green foliage.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey Ed,
Not sure why but the RH side appears a little brighter/off to me in between the trees......it may be a reflection though so not sure there. I too prefer the darker version and for my tastes would crop just below the UR cloud......to take the scene a bit off center. Exposures and HDR look pretty good.....just wonder about that tree area.

Ed Vatza
06-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciate.

Hey Ed,
Not sure why but the RH side appears a little brighter/off to me in between the trees......it may be a reflection though so not sure there... just wonder about that tree area.

It is indeed a reflection on some lighter color leaves if I remember correctly. If you look on the left, you will see the beginnings of the same kind of light reflection at the tops of the branches.

chris Bycroft
06-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Excellent HDR image. Have you considered using a graduated filter effect (in reverse to brighten the sky) in the first image to get the advantage of the sky in the brighter image - which I think is a better setting overall. I think then you would get the best of both images.