PDA

View Full Version : Mist on a Feather

Gordon Craig
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I found this feather in my yard one night while watering my garden. With camera nearby I decided to try some shots. It was shot with a Canon 5D, canon 100 mm F2.8. A 36 mm extension tube was also used. The exposure time was 3 seconds, ISO was 400, and the aperture was F/32.

Randy Stout
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Gordon:
I like the repeating pattern in the feather, and the water adds variety. I stared at this for I while trying out different crop options. I thought that a vertical with the quill running down the diagonal, or close to it, might be interesting. I also think that there is a bit more to be gotten from it as far as the lighting.

If you have others from the series that were cropped differently, it might be fun to see those in a new thread.

I might play with it a bit tonight and see what I can make pop out!

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Dave Mills
06-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi Gordon, I feel your image is very strong with pleasing color and texture. The water drops add significantly to the image. I was playing with the cropping and liked a crop just past the 2nd large water drop on the left. Either way...very nice..

Julie Kenward
06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Very nice, Gordon! I agree that a different crop might make this even stronger - both a vertical or Dave's crop suggestion both sound very good but I also like what you have presented.

I also agree that there is a dullness to the middle tones - a curves adjustment adding a bit more contrast at the top and bottom tones might be just the thing.

Overall I really like the image. You have good details without too much sharpening (which people tend to do with waterdrops) and the overall cool shade of blue really adds a nice touch.

Randy Stout
06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Gordon:

I had a minute so tried a couple of ideas on your neat picture.

I wanted to give it a bit more bite, so in levels and curves drug in both the black point and white point a bit towards the center (the sliders) till they just started to clip. Also cropped, what I think Dave liked.

It has a bit more of a mechanical, graphics art look, which absolutely may not be what you want, but its such a fun image, encourages one to try things.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Moats
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Gordon, I like it as you posted it. Love the subject, comp, and details. I think Randy's repost does have more pop, but I prefer the original with a more grey blue, rather than the deep blue in Randy's.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Nice textures Gordon.
Liked the contrast & colours in the original version. But somehow composition-wise, I prefer the verion posted by Randy.

Randy Stout
06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Gordon:

Fun to see people chime in. The cropping in mine comes from the suggestion by Dave Mills. I was originally going to do more of a vertical, but I think Dave was right.

Cheers

Randy

Gordon Craig
06-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the comments. That is what makes this forum so great!

Arthur Morris
06-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey Gordon, I like both versions. The diagonal idea with the feather shaft is a winner.