PDA

View Full Version : Crested Barbet

Stu Bowie
06-18-2009, 01:04 PM
These are fairly common garden birds, but can be found in the wild too. I was in a hide in the Kruger National Park, observing animals, when this barbet landed in a tree and gave me a bit of a show. I couldnt get the best angle, due to other obstructions, but got a few shots of him.

Canon 50D
100-400 L IS USM @ 400mm
1/1000
F/5.6
ISO 500

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand held from a hide

Randy Stout
06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Stuart:

A wild looking bird! Nice HA,pretty sharp.

This is a pretty high contrast image. I might consider reducing the contrast a bit, toning down the trunk and brighter areas on the background.

I also think you could consider a slightly different crop. I tried a couple, and like it best with a bit off the top and right side. I initially thought to crop from bottom, but found I preferred top and right.

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Mark Dumbleton
06-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I like the crop as is Stu. Agree on toning down some areas of the image, especially the BG, find it a bit distracting. Super light and like the pose.

Isak Pretorius
06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I really love this image! I like the lines of the tree and the pose of the bird is the best I've ever seen for this common barbet! Light is perfect! The BG is very noticeably but I love it - somehow adds to the image in my opinion as it shows it's environment but is OOF enough not to distract.

Stu Bowie
06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Randy, Mark, Isak, thanks so much for the feedback.

Randy, here is my repost. I have sought out the highlights, and reduced the contrast. I decided to leave the comp as is - bringing in from the right will center the barbet too much.

Randy Stout
06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Stuart:

I do prefer the repost. some will like the original because it has more pop, but I found it too contrasty for my personal taste.

re: cropping. You have to go with what works for you. Vertical images aren't as sensitive to centering issues as horizontal crops, look at Alan Murphy's painted bunting. A very nice image by any standard, and the bird is very centered.

Part of the reason for considering the crop was to further eliminate some of the bright background. Since you have toned that down, it is less of an issue.

Cheers.

Randy

Randy Stout
06-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Stuart:

Just to show what I had in mind re: crop. For me it downplays the background problems and increases the size and impact of the subject (IMO)

Randy

Stu Bowie
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey Randy, thanks a lot for your input. I must admit, your comp with the barbet centred, works well.

Ramon M. Casares
06-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I am not crazy about the BG, but the rest looks very nice to me, pose, light, colors, detal and comp are very nice as said.
Congratulations!

Tony Whitehead
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Lovely pose to show the breast detail, Stuart. Softer light and smoother BG would be nice. Repost definitely an improvement. Wondering about a slight colour adjustment as there seems to be a slight greenish cast especially noticable on the yellow feathers.

Randy Stout
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Tony:

good observation about the color cast. I have never seen one of these live, so am hesitant to comment on color casts unless there is a known tone in the image to judge by.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
06-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Beautiful bird, good details and eye contact. The BG is a bit distracting, with a more uniform BG it would have been great.

Kobus Tollig
06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Also like the comp as is....ditto all Isak saidM there is a few areas I would tone down.
Maybe the comp is a south african thing hehehehehe.....funny that we are SA guys liking the comp

Chris Kotze
06-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Great capture Stu. Comp is fine, Ditto not the best BG

Stu Bowie
06-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Your reposted BG toned down is better, otherwise a little too competitive for my attention. Super bird man! Love the comp and colors. :)