PDA

View Full Version : Baxter St Park Repost

Raymond Packard
02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
this is a repost of same image submitted previously, and was advised to resize. any and all comments appreciated. this photo was taken in Baxter ST Park in northern ME, while photographing moose.
Nikon D-70 &18-70 zoom at 40mm 1/125 f11with polorizer

Arthur Morris
02-03-2008, 08:26 PM
I like it. The colors, the COMP, and especially the water. I would do a Quick Mask of all the leaves and hit it with a contrast mask: Unsharp Mask 15/65/0.

Later and love, artie

John Cooper
02-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Thats a better size Ray - I could see from your original post that it would have some imapct - and so it does!!
A very nice composition with good colour contrast between the warm autumn tones and the cool tones of the water. The only improvement for me would be a stronger foreground element.

Bret Edge
02-04-2008, 12:58 AM
There is a lot to like in this image. The warm foliage contrasts beautifully with the cool water. The stream provides a nice path for the viewers eye to follow, too. I think the image becomes stronger when you crop out the washed out sky completely, right at the treeline. The human eye is drawn to the brightest part of an image and all that white sky automatically sucks the viewers attention away from the colorful foliage and rushing creek.

In the future, you might try using a graduated neutral density filter (if you're old school, like me) or shoot one exposure for the sky and another for the rest of the image, then blend them in Photoshop.

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Artie has a good suggestion on the contrast mask and i agree with Bret on the bright sky.

A different composition could have lessened/eliminated the impact of the sky. Thanks for posting.