PDA

View Full Version : A profile shot

Desmond Chan
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Fujifilm S5 Nikon 105 VR macro. Manual exposure mode, all natural light. ISO 400 f8 1/320s.

Saw this gull sitting on the fence today. What made me want to photo this particular gull is its white and clean-looking feathers. Most of the time the gulls I see they don't look that clean. Background is the sea.

Slightly cropped for composition purpose.

How do the feathers look? C&C welcome and appreciated !

Kerry Perkins
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Desmond, big congrats on a wonderful image! Love the high-key treatment and the detail in the feathers. This is hard to do and you did a great job. Maybe only 1/3 stop less light would eliminate the slightly over areas around the edge of the bird. You must have been very close to get this with a 105.

Two small nits would be lightening the iris of the eye and adding a small border around the image to make it stand out from the web page background. Well done!

Desmond Chan
06-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Kerry, thanks for the comments and suggestions !

Yes, the bird was close. I could touch it if wanted to. I think I was as close as the bird allowed since I noticed that, whenever I took a small step closer, it started to take a small step, too, to keep me at its comfortable distance. But it didn't fly away though.

Lance Peters
06-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi desmond - works for me - lovely detail in the feathers - agree with Kerry just a tad of lightening for the eye.

You have a S5 as well :)

Gus Cobos
06-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Hi Desmond,
I like the capture and composition...I like the high-key look...you have fine details, and love that sharp eye...good show...:cool:

Alfred Forns
06-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Sweet capture Desmond and love the sharpness of that macro lens !! About all I an wish for is a catchlight Does make the eye look more alive !!! Big Congrats !!!

Doug Brown
06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Nice one Desmond! Lightening the iris would really help this already excellent image.

Harold Davis
06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
excellent detail and pose. agree with the iris suggestion. great job!!

Desmond Chan
06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys !

I did do something to the eye before but did not like the result. Here's another try and see if that's what you guys are looking for.

Lance, I have a Fujifilm S5 aka king of dynamic range i.e., no blown highlights :D:D That is my first DSLR and earlier posts of mine are photos from that camera (including BIF shots).